No supportive bra post operation?

I recently got 485cc silicone unders on both breasts. I was under the impression I'd have to wear a compression bra, but my doctor didn't give me one and said I didn't need one. Everyone else I've read has had to wear one. What should I do?

Instructions after breast augmentation.

You should always follow your specific plastic surgeon's instructions after a surgery. They may be different than other instructions or protocols you have seen or read, but your surgeon will direct you how they would like you to recover.  Best of luck to you.
I supply a free breast augmentation planner to my patients as well that outlines everything that they should expect and do. You can download it for free at  These instructions may also be different than what your plastic surgeon would like you to do.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Post-op bras are not routine

and you shouldn't worry if your surgeon isn't worried.  Most of my patients are excessively full on top and go home with bands.  Bras are used when my patients are happy with their look and start supporting their breasts when they reach that point.

Curtis Wong, MD

No supportive bra post op breast augmentation?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation surgery.  There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes.

Breast augmentation - but not bra.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • A bra is worn for support and comfort after your surgery.
  • If your surgeon did not provide one, you can wear a comfortable front-fastening sports bra.
  • You do not need breast compression - it should simply give comfortable support while you are swollen.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post operative support

This is a question best answered by your surgeon. I, like most others, recommend postoperative bras for comfort as well as to provided support for the often heavier breasts.Ask your surgeon what he prefers for you to do.

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Support Bra

Thank you for your question.  I suggest that my breast augmentation patients wear a supportive bra / sports bra after surgery for about 4 weeks.  Each surgeon has their own post-operative instructions. Check with your surgeon about his / her reasoning behind not having you wear a bra.  Best of luck.

Rafi S. Bidros, MD, FACS

No supportive bra post operation?

Thank you for your question. Each surgeon has his or her own protocol for what works best to provide optimal outcomes after surgery. I would follow the direction of your plastic surgeon. If you feel that some type of compression or bra would be helpful to you, then ask your plastic surgeon if it would be ok. It may no be part of his or her standard protocol, but it also may not hurt the outcome in his or her opinion, and they would be willing to allow it. 
Hope this helps!

No bra post BA

We have found that having our breast augmentation patients wear a soft sports type bra for support after surgery works well. Ask you surgeon if this is ok with them.

Supportive bra post-op

Your board certified plastic surgeon certainly knows your situation and breast augmentation better than we do, and I would trust your surgeons judgment. My advice would be to call your doctor and ask him what he recommends you do in regard to this situation. If he insists a compression bra is not necessary but you still feel uncomfortable without the support then also ask if you are allowed to wear a sports bra during the first two weeks post operation. (wearing the sports bra past 2 weeks will help with supporting your new size still, i'm just worried there was some specific reason to not suggest a compression bra for you.) 

Best wishes

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Supportive bra post surgery

Thank you for your question.Each plastic surgeon has there own protocol for post surgery care. It is important that you follow the instructions that your surgeon has given you, although you may find it more comfortable to wear a good supportive bra during the recovery bra especially when you get back into normal activities.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon