Sore sternum - I am one month post op of a pocket revision. (photo)

I had the pocket revision to reduce the pain I had in one breast, and slowly but surely the nerve pain is calming down. I don't know if I slept funny or if it's from my heavy duty bra (which has a strong structure resting on the sternum) that could be causing sternum soreness/tension mostly to the right breast. I am terrified of developing symmastia. I have already had a rough ride with my implants and really want them to just work out. Thoughts?

Sore Sternum One Month Post Op of a Pocket Revision

It still soon into yout #healing which will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Your doctor may require you to move or #massage the #implants within the breast pockets during the postoperative period. However, textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.

You should avoid heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

If you have concerns about your healing, or pain, such as chest pain,it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further, and you may need to be examined

Pains after sucessful breast surgery

Odd asymmetrical pains are common both after breast augmentation and breast surgery in general even in the absence of 'complications.' They are caused by many factors such as: stretching or division of small cutaneous nerves; irritation or bruising to the pectoral muscles; deep suture placement; minor cautery burns to the periosteum; the stretching of the tissues by the implant, and the general inflammation associated with healing wounds. As a rule these all disappear by about six months. 

Massaging the areas in question often helps, as do other modalities of physical therapy such as tens, tapping and alternating hot and cold compresses.

J. Brian Boyd, MD
Rolling Hills Estates Plastic Surgeon