Size? Textured or Smooth? (Photos)

I have to make my final decision soon and I'm wondering if I should get textured implants or smooth implants. I am thinking of going with 375cc. 400 if they fit. High profile The doctor said there is a possibility of a snoopy breast on my right side and thought textured would be best. But I would much rather have them slightly saggy (natural) versus under my chin.

Breast Implant Questions

Thank you for your photos and question.  Textured versus smooth is a question best discussed between you and your surgeon.  Bottom line is both implants will give you a great result.  Some surgeons prefer textured and some feel very strongly about smooth.  There is no wrong answer.  Best to go with what your surgeon feels most comfortable with and what he/she believes will give you the best result.  Texturing is designed to reduce the scar tissue around the implant, ideally allowing the implant to have a greater lifespan.  You do have a bit of skin sag.  A straight augmentation without a lift will potentially leave you with a bit of droopy skin.  A lift can always be done later if your are unsure about the scars or the cost.  I would recommend a skin tightening to give you the best shape.  Best of luck.  

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Really this question should be answered by your plastic surgeon, what i mean to say is that...

you really do not have the knowledge or experience to make the call for textured or smooth.  Most patients (unless they are cosmetic plastic surgeons) will just not know which will would be better for themselves.  My recommendation is for textured highly cohesive gel implants.  They look, feel, and have the best track record of any device on the market.  Check into Sientra implants and see a surgeon that has these available.  I have used all three US companies hundreds of times (over 5000 implants placed).  Sientra has the best look, outcomes, and warranty to boot!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Size? Textured or Smooth?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  Based on your photographs, your breast skin does seem to overlap with your upper abdominal wall skin making me wonder whether you might benefit from breast lifting as well? Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical. ***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
 Personally, in my practice, I rarely find the need  to use textured breast implants. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.   Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon