Is it possible to rip tummy tuck repair while vomiting? 3 years out.

I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair about 3 years ago. I have a terrible stomach flu and vomited rather violently. I felt almost a ripping sensation in my lower belly muscle and a throbbing pain that lasted a few minutes and is still tender to touch. Is it possible to have ripped the muscle repair?

Disrupting muscle repairs 3 years later

is not expected... but you could have strained or torn something if your vomiting was extreme.  If you do not appreciate any changes in your tummy when standing and your tummy relaxed, you did not damage the repair.

Is it possible to rip tummy tuck repair while vomiting?

Not likely to happen three years out. You may have torn some old scar tissue. But, it is not likely that you have torn something related to your abdominal muscles. You may have just pulled a muscle in general. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Is it possible to rip tummy tuck repair while vomiting? 3 years out

Thank you for your question.  It is highly unlikely any damage for TT repair from vomiting. If it continue to cause pain, I recommend you see your PS for evaluation.

Rip tummytuck repair

Hello and thank you for your question. There should be no worry about ruining your tummy tuck repair this far out. Although the muscle repair is done depending on the surgeon sometimes with permanent sutures, so there is the chance of them becoming weak in any area of the suture line. Server vomiting could cause this but the chance is very small, returning to your surgeon for a check could ease your concern. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Can Vomiting Hurt Tummy Tuck Results?

If you had just had your tummy tuck then I would say yes, severe vomiting could adversely affect your tummy tuck and be the cause of your throbbing pain. But at 3 years post op, I think not. However, if your situation doesn't improve with time, make an appointment to see either your regular doctor or your plastic surgeon to have the situation assessed in person. Violent vomiting does put stress on your stomach muscles and that could very well be what you are feeling. So sorry that you are going through this and hope you are better soon.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Concern

Thank you for your question and photos. I'm sorry to hear of your  concern.   While it is unlikely you did any harm to your muscle repair 3 years after surgery, it is best to return to your board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!