Petite boned athlete looking for the right size to balance my physique. 300-385 cc on the table? (Photo)

I'm just under 5"7 (129#) with small bones and 30-32 inch band size and my natural breasts are pretty narrow, though I do have somewhat broader shoulders and lats. I had a consult for high profile round gummy implants today looking at 300, 330, 350, 385 cc under muscle (they said it's ok for athletes). I don't want to appear top heavy, to have my chest over power my glutes or to have my chest be the first (2nd or third) thing people notice when I walk in a room.

Matching Breast Implants to Physique

Thank you for your questions and photo. During the consultation measurements are taken of your breasts. The width of the implant should be chosen based on the width of your breasts. There are a number of implant sizes and shapes that could be compatible with any given woman's breast width so the final decision is yours to make. I have my patients place implant sizers inside a sports bra along with different tops to give them an idea how they would look in clothing. I also recommend they size more than once so they are sure about the implant size and shape. Good luck!

Draper Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

You need to prioritize your anatomic capacity to minimize your risk of post operative complications. Known as biodimensional analysis or tissue base implant planning, this will ensure you choose an implant that 'fits'.  As for your aesthetic goal, there is nothing more informational than sizing in front of the mirror with an unpadded bra to determine how a given implant will look. Please visit only ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons!!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Petite boned athlete looking for the right size to balance my physique. 300-385 cc on the table?

The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body.

Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size.

In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve.

Good luck with the process!

Augmentation

Thank you for the question and photo and at a complimentary consultation with experts in your area you should be able to see what those volumes might look like on your chest and your surgeon can pick the best shaped implant for you after measurements and discussion of desired results.  

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Selecting the Correct Implant to Achieve your Goals

Thank-you for your question. Selecting the correct implant size is among the most important decisions in a successful breast augmentation procedure. Placement of the identical implant will not produce the same results in all patients due to differences in:

1.Dimentions of the breast
2.Diameter of the chest
3.Volume of breast tissue
4. Height and weight
5. Breast shape, including breast ptosis and asymmetry

I rely on 3 methods to advise my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel implant sizing
3. 3-Dimensional Vectra imageing system.

At the time of consultation, measurements are taken allowing for dimensional planning to select the implant which best fits the base diameter of the breast. Gel implant sizing is performed to allow you to visualize augmentation the with the various sized implants. Vectra 3-D imaging has been a very important method in my practice in selecting the correct implant size and shape as it allows you to see what you will look like following augmentation with any of the available implants.

Best wishes

Dr. LyosMD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  It is important that you have a consultation during which breast implant sizers can be placed into a sports bra so that you can see how the various volumes look on your chest and physique.  If that is not possible you can also do the Rice test which is described in the article in the link below.  I Cherri are concerned about choosing to large a size that could overwhelm  the rest of your excellent physique.  A very rough and inadequate guess is that the lower range you are considering  in the 300-325 cc may end up beingmore appropriate for you.  For more on sizing please read below:

Picking the right implants

Hi and thank you for the question. Without seeing you in person nobody on this forum can give you specific advice about implant sizes or styles that will give you the result you want. Generally speaking, the implant sizes your are considering are on the conservative side which Is good if you aren't looking to attract too much attention. You might consider a moderate profile implant for a more natural look. With regards to above vs below the muscle - if you have to flex on stage as part of your modeling you have to be aware that implants under the muscle can get an animation deformity where the breasts look distorted when you flex your pecs.  One more thing for you to consider is to find a practice that uses the Vectra 3d imaging system. We use this to show patients what they will look like with different sizes and styles of implants to help them make the best choice possible for their surgery. Good luck to you. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

Thank you for your question. Choosing the best implant for you is going to be determined by several things including the width of your breast, current size, desired outcome and quality of your skin. If you have very little breast tissue starting and thin skin which I really can't tell with a photo alone, you may consider a shaped implant for a more natural look and feel. There are so many options and the difference in 25-50cc is so small there is no real difference. Seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who offers Vectra 3d imaging can assist with choosing size in addition to the physical exam and measurements. You can always get a second consultation and choose which surgeon you are most comfortable with and who you think will deliver the results you are looking to achieve. 

Petite boned athlete looking for the right size implants to balance my physique

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon