Best option for lip augmentation if I metabolize fillers (used Juvederm Ultra Plus) very rapidly?

I know some doctors use others fillers like voluma off label for those who metabolize lip fillers rapidly. Is this an option? I'm also considering lip implants or a fat graft.

Juvederm Voluma® does enjoy a longer longevity profile than many other fillers and can be injected off-label into the lips by an experienced aesthetic physician. In addition, Voluma® results will be more natural-looking than surgical implants/silicone/fat grafting. Please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.

Miami Dermatologist

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. If you don't get the results or lasting results from an HA dreamer filler (Voluma is also an HA dermal filler), the lips can be augmented using a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Non-filler lip augmentation

For patients like you that notice only a short term benefit in the upper lip from fillers, (and there are many), I have had great long term success from a lip tuck procedure, done under local anesthesia, and precisely designed with you prior to surgery.  This uses your own tissues to enhance the shape and volume of the upper lip without any fat grafting, and provides a very natural, long term benefit.  Wrinkle lines can also be reduced, and the shape and definition of the Cupid's bow can be changed if desired.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Best option for lip augmentation

Whether the fillers are metabolize slowly or quickly they will mostly be gone in a year or less. If your goal is a result that will last for years and look and feel 100% natural (because it is) then fat transfer is the best option.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternative Options for Lip Augmentation: Voluma, Implants or Fat

Most people think the filler doesn't last as long because the lips get very swollen after injection.  If you truly feel the results are not long lasting and you have compared before and after photos, then I would consider other options such as fat or a lip implant (although I tend to not like how implants look). Other fillers such as Perlane and Voluma, although typically used in the middle face, work very well in the lip in patients like you whom Restylane and Juvederm Ultra/Ultra plus just didn't seem to last. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for sharing your question.  There are other options at lip augmentation and I would look into Voluma for a greater volumizing effect to the lips, or the newly US approved Volbella, which supplies subtle lip volume but greater degrees of lip definition.  Volbella is thought to last up to a year while Voluma up to a year and a half.  Hope this helps.