Is it normal to be itchy 5 days after labiaplasty?

Itching after labiaplasty

Itching is usually a sign of healing and is typically normal at this stage.  If it persists, contact your surgeon for review. 

Itching after labiapasty

Yes! Itching is part of the healing response. Remember when you fell and scraped your knee  and it started to itch when the area started to heal?  Its normal. However, I would make sure you followup with your surgeon for a checkup to make sure there everything is progressing well. 

I have  found that over the counter Dermaplast spray and witch hazel pads are helpful for my patients when they go through this phase of the healing process. I hope this helps! 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS

Itching after labiaplasty is common

Yes, it's common to experience itching after a Labiaplasty procedure. This is typically due to the sutures. In my practice, we have patients return between day 4 and 7 for suture removal. This results in immediate relief and more smooth healing. Our out-of-state patients who undergo their in-office labiaplasty return home on post op day 4 after removing their sutures. 

Be sure to notify your surgeon and make sure other things aren't going on such as a yeast infection.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Itching is a sign of healing.  This is normal and to be expected.  Always be sure to keep your doctor updated with your recovery.

John G. Hunter, MD

Is it Normal To Be Itchy 5 Days after Labiaplasty?

Healing is results in the release of histamine, which results in itchiness. It's a normal part of healing. 

For more information, click on the link below.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Itching after labiaplasty

Yes.  For our patients, we give a "goodie bag" of most all supplies needed after genital plastic surgery. In it, we include "Dermaplast," a spray that is helpful for itching. Try it! If this is ineffective, and your surgeon has ruled out a yeast infection, try the anti-itch medicine "hydroxizine"at a dose of 10-25 mg. Prophylactic antibiotics are not needed for labiaplasty, & can cause yeast infections.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Itching after labiaplasty is common

Itching is very common in the first few weeks after labiaplasty. Usually it is not a problem, but sometimes it may be due to a yeast infection and warrant specific treatment. Antihistamines may help you sleep.

5days post op

Yes itching is one of the most common complaints after these surgeries.  Perhaps you can talk to your surgeon about it so he/she can make a recommendation.  I often prescribe some over the counter benedryl  but please discuss this with your surgeon.

Why we itch after Labiaplasty

Hello, and thank you for asking about itching after labiaplasty. Good question, and very common.  Healing is itching, in a nutshell. This being said, there can be many causes for itching in general. The preparation, the sutures, and the body's natural response to surgery and healing are most common causes. Sometimes it's too much or uncomfortable enough and we will want to see you back in the practice to rule out any bacteria or other cause.  My advice is communication with your surgeon and supportive staff; call on them if it progresses or you want recommendations for something to help you tolerate it better. This is an uncomfortable period of time, post labiaplasty, but I wish you the best and encourage you by letting you know this can be completely normal. Our bodies heal quickly most of the time, so hang in there. I hope you're thrilled with the outcome of your labiaplasty soon.

All the best to you,

Jenn Harrington, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your labiaplasty.   Whether due to the solution used to clean your tissues, presence of scabs, dry skin, remaining suture material, or the body's natural healing respond, itching is very common to have 5 days after surgery and can be treated with some benadryl if it is severe. Hope this helps.