Is a lot of pain unusual after 25 days from surgery?

I had surgery on October 11. The incision came apart under my right breast which my doc has me treating with cream and fresh bandage twice a day. OTHERWISE the incisions have healed nicely a. Problem is that I am still in a lot of pain. both breast are very sore and tender. They thought I shouldn't need pain medicine after 10 days but ibuprofen 800 doesn't phase the pain. I am afraid of something serious going on

A lot of pain 25 days after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• An open incision three weeks after a breast augmentation is a matter of real concern.
  • So is severe pain and tenderness - 
  • Please return to your surgeon for evaluation
  • If he cannot explain what is going on, consider a second opinion.
  • If your surgeon is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you should see one if you have pain and an open incision.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to answer your question without examining you or reviewing your photos. It seems like you had a breast augmentation and wound opened up and you are performing local wound care. The pain maybe normal since you had an open wound. It is best to follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Pain after surgery

Hi- Post operative pain can be a very difficult thing to control and can vary significantly from patient to patient. The most important thing to do is to continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon during the post operative period. In general however the pain should be getting better and not worse at this point of your recovery. Hope this was helpful. Good Luck!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Discomfort following breast augmentation in the submuscular pain is almost always gone by 3 weeks.  Please see her plastic surgeon for an examination and diagnosis as to what might be causing your pain.

That does not sound normal to have significant pain that far out, especially on the side that didn't have complications. Make sure to address that with your surgeon as soon as possible. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Unusual

I think it is unusual to have significant amount of pain 25 days after breast augmentation.  You, however, did not have the normal post operative course so more pain may be expected.  I would express your concerns to your surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS