Am I a good candidate for Tummy tuck scar revision? (photos)

Hi, I am 5 weeks post on from a Tummy tuck and lipo. I have an area of necrosis and it's still healing. Also my scar is just a little high. I have an appt next Thursday I will be 6 weeks post on and my doctor is going to revise my scar. Do I look like a good candidate for a revision? How long will the "down time" be. ? He said the I will be awake for the procedure and he will only be using local anesthesia.. What should I expect for healing? Is there a risk of necrosis again?

Hello, thank you for your question and photo. #Revision surgery would be early at this point in your #healing. I believe you will be a good #candidate for revision surgery when your wound is healed, no earlier than 3 months post op, better at 6 months or later. The #wound needs to be healed completely and all infection removed. You will end up with a much better result if you wait.

Am I a good candidate for tummy tuck scar revision?

Hi, there.
Sorry to see that you have a wound dehiscence; however, your overall abdominal contour looks good.
Each plastic surgeon has different surgical technique and post-surgical protocol.
Personally, I would wait longer to revise the scar until the wound heals completely.
Although your surgeon may be able to close and revise the scar, I don't think he will be able to lower the scar at this time.
Please discuss your concern with your plastic surgeon.

Am I a good candidate for Tummy tuck scar revision?

You might be a good candidate for a scar revision, but not now. It is too early, the tissues are still under tension and you have a colonized wound by multiple bacteria. The chance that you will have an infection and further separation from a revision at 6 weeks, is high. I would recommend not rushing into this. Discuss with your plastic surgeon and his experience with scar revision at this stage of healing. Good luck.

Open Wound

You are not ready for a scar revision. You will need at least 3 to 6 months. Attempting scar revision now with this open wound is inviting possible recurrent wounding or infection. I am concerned that he recommended this at this point

I would continue with saline soaked wet to dry gauze dressings changing them 2 to 3 times a day until the wound is closed completely. Judging from its appearance, this will be another few weeks.  Once closed, you need to wait many months for inflammation and healing to resolve.  The purpose of scar revision is to get the finest scar possible, so the environment needs to be right before embarking on that surgery. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

Thank you very much for your question, and for the pictures.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  It's a known complication, and is an annoyance. With proper wound care you will get completely healed.  And with a scar revision, you should have a great result in the end!

Yes, you do appear to be a candidate for a scar revision, and this is typically done under local anesthesia.  Your surgeon will help to determine the timing.  There is much less risk of necrosis again, as the blood supply is pretty much set at this point, and there will be far less tension on the wound itself.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

I am sorry you are experiencing wound healing issues.  As you know, this can unfortunately happen sometimes with tummy tucks.  Your shape looks amazing though and in the end you will have a great result.  For these types of issues, I usually just let the wound heal by itself and let the scar contract.  When the tissues soften up (Usually close to the year mark, 6 months at the earliest), I would offer my patient a scar revision to make the scar finer.  To lower the entire scar is much more involved and usually requires more than local anesthesia.  With good wound care, your wound should close up on its own in a few weeks.  Good luck.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing

I suspect your surgeon may be able to trim and close the wound, but I don't think he will be able to lower the scar at this time, and perhaps not with only local anesthesia.  Whether it is wise to close this or just to let it heal I couldn't say without seeing intermediate photos to get some idea of how quickly this is healing. Most often surgeons will debride (trim) something of this size and allow it to heal without actually suturing due to fear of a wound infection. 

Down time depends on what activities you wish to resume. Light non-physical word could resume in a day or so.  Heavy labor or exercise will be weeks down the road.

All the best. 

Slow healing after tummy tuck

Based on the photos, I am guessing that your surgeon intends to remove to the open, necrotic section of the central portion of the scar, rather than lowering the entire scar line. This is a procedure which can be accomplished quite readily under local anesthesia. Slow healing, necrosis, infection, dehiscence are all potential complications of surgery, particularly if one is diabetic, smokes, or has poor nutrition, or if an incision is closed under too much tension. I am sure your surgeon wants the best scar possible for you, and providing delayed closure of this wound will ultimately improve the appearance of the scar and get you healed faster. "Down time" should be negligible, and repair may possibly be performed with no external sutures. Good luck!

Scar revision surgery may or may not be helpful in the futureā€¦

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Superficial separation of the incision line is a known complication after tummy tuck surgery. Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be in your best interests; sometimes removal of a exposed suture and/or removal of any unhealthy tissue will expedite healing. Otherwise, wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing ( in my practice I use a non-stick dressing covered by a sterile dressing). You should have peace of mind that these types of wound healing problems generally go on to heal over the course of the next several weeks, without long-term sequelae. Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source. Occasionally, in the event of a wider scar, scar revision surgery may be helpful down the line. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck scar revision

Those are all questions you need to discuss with your surgeon.He or she knows exactly what happened postoperatively, and should have a plan.Having a scar revision in the office under local anesthesia is usually well-tolerated, as the area can be numbed very effectively.Habits like smoking or overall poor nutrition can increase the risk of healing problems, so stay healthy.Good luck!