I have a round full face, what can I do? (photos)

I feel like I carry fat around my mouth and in my cheeks, have a rounded jawline and lack cheekbones. Is there anything I can do to help me success in a more angular face? Would voluma be a good option?

Doctor Answers 5

Voluma for a more angular face

As you age, you will be grateful for your round face as if will keep you looking youthful. But I can understand your desire for more definition. I think that Voluma in the mid-face/cheek area could help create a more defined facial contour. Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist with a lot of experience in Voluma.


Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Voluma in the Cheek Region

Thank you for your question. You have a very attractively-shaped face, however you would most definitely benefit from some augmentation to your malar (cheek) and cheek bone region. By using something that plumps up this area, it will give you a more proportioned, heart-shaped face, and help to balance out your face. You would do well with Voluma, or Restylane Lyft or even Radiesse. Most the aforementioned will last for anywhere from 12-24 months, and are injected deeply into the tissues to give a natural, youthful lift to the cheek region. It would be best for you to have an in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon to find out exactly what your options are. But, just based on these photos, you're a perfect candidate! Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

I have a round full face, what can I do? = several plastic surgery procedures are an option #voluma #buccalfatpad #masseterbotox

In my practice, when  female patients asks me in consultation how to achieve a less round full face/more chiseled appearance, I recommend them several cosmetic plastic surgery procedures to achieve that goal:

-Cheek augmentation with either soft tissue filled like voluma or cheek implants: Prominent cheek bones are essential for a chiseled "V" shape face

-Buccal fat pad removal. This procedure removes the excess of fullness in the lower cheeks that very often never improves with diet or exercise.

-Masseter muscle reduction with Botox application. Master muscle gives fullness and width to the lower posterior portion of the face. When this masticatory muscle is treated with Botox, it decreases it volume, thus giving a more delicate "V" shape face shape.

It is also important to have a normal to body fat content (Normal / Normal-Low BMI). Excess of fat in the body, specially in the face could hide prominent cheek bones and give fullness to the face, thus not allowing to have a chiseled face shape.

Patients interested in achieved a less round full face toward (chiseled face) with plastic surgery procedures  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face.

John Mesa, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Filler for cheeks

I think that you have a very attractive face but you could consider a filler such as Voluma or Lyft to the upper cheeks.  You could also consider Restylane injections to restore volume to the tear trough (under the eyes).  In general I would favor adding some volume to your upper face to accentuate the cheeks and reduce any shadowing or hollows.  An in person evaluation would be necessary to make a specific plan for you.
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Enhancing your cheekbones

Hi Julianna,

Fillers such as Voluma or Restylane Lyft are great for enhancing the cheekbones and restoring the youthful "inverted triangle" shape to the face. Make sure you consult an expert in injections to make sure you get the best results to address your concerns. Good luck!

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.