I have been experiencing some hair thining on my hairline. Is there a way of redesigning my hairline and removing my cowlick?

I have always had bangs and also a cowlick. The cowlick never seemed to be such a problem because my hair would weigh it down. Now my bangs are thinner and the cowlick is extremely prominent. I would like to know if I were to get a procedure for my hairline would I also be able to get rid of the cowlick

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.  Hair transplant surgery can certainly redesign a hair line.  

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant + Non surgical treatment

Hello. You should consider a consultation with a Hair Specialist in order to find the best treatment to achieve your aesthetic goals. You can benefit from a Hair Transplant in combination with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) to enhance the existing hair and promote the growth of the newly transplanted hair.Best of lucks!

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

Frontal Hairline

Frontal hairline restoration is an artistic endeavor, with particular focus to angulation and directionality and facial framing necessary to achieve the desired results.  Cowlick removal would depend on the degree of miniaturization you have had, the angulation and location of the cowlick, and overall hair loss history and donor region availability. So for example if you have minor hair loss, have ample donor region, then it would be an option to remove the cowlick and have it restored with normal directionality of hair.   Best is to post a picture so the panel of experts can answer your question more completely or to seek a consultation,

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Frontal thinning

I would need to see good pictures of you and probably examine you to find out if you are balding. Redesigning a frontal cowlick is very difficult and risky

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning frontal hairline

The thinning that you are experiencing is most likely happening in a uniform fashion.  Making the cowlick less prominent may be as simple as styling your hair differently as this can sometimes effectively camouflage an area of thinning.  Depending on your age medications or even a hair transplant may be an option as well.  I would recommend a consultation with a hair surgeon to further explore these issues.  Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Problem cowlick

If you are thinning out, then your cowlick will thin as well.  If you consider translating hair, you can likely easily camouflage the area by weighing it down with surrounding hair just like you had before you were thinning.  It all depends on how much hair you need to transplant. 

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Anterior cowlick

It's a great question and alot depends on your age, which is not stated here.In general, removing the front cowlick is not advised as it will likely thin over time. Genetic hair loss will likely progressively thin the cowlick as well as the existing hair you describe.