I curious if it's too early to see any results from CoolSculpting procedures performed on the jawline/chin area.

I'm a very healthy 49 year old female with a double chin that just won't go away. CoolSculpting was recommended along with Ultherapy (performed months after CoolSculpting). I'm nervous about the pain and seeing results. After reading many negative reviews on Ultherapy, is it worth a consult with a plastic surgeon for liposuction of my double chin? How is the skin tightened though with the liposuction procedure? In addition, I have friends that have had CoolSculpting and they said it was extremely painful.

Coolsculpting on Jaw and Chin area

The cool mini has just been released and it has gotten amazing reviews! That combined with Thermage, Kybella can all treat this area that only liposuction or surgery used to work in the past.  These non-invasive procedures have revolutionized the way we treat the aging neck. Please consult an expert in this new advanced technology.  Best, Dr. Green

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I treat this everyday in my practice. You may be a surgical candidate but you do not need surgery for improvement. Properly performed liposuction with energy based devices and physical fat removal will do fantastic to remove the fat, lift the skin, and contour the jawline. I find that liposuction is by far way more superior than any non invasive treatment in the neck.  Coolmini and kybella take months to see results and often need multiple treatments.  I pretreat everyone with Botox 1-2 weeks before surgery to relax the neck muscles, allowing for better retraction of the skin after surgery. Then after treatment we do skin tightening with Venus Legacy to improve the results and decrease the neck swelling. I suggest you only see an expert for treatment of this area as a meticulous surgeon is required to get great results and complications in this area can be devastating both medically and cosmetically. A new medication that is used to remove chin fat with injections called Kybella may also be an option, as it secondarily allows for skin tightening/lifting as well. A formal consultation is needed to determine what are the best options for you. Best, Dr. Emer. 

Best treatments for Double Chin

Thankfully, we have many options, or combinations of options, available now to treat double chis.  Coolsculpting is great for under the chin and has shown skin tightening as well.  Doing Ultherapy in conjunction with Coolsculpting is a great option if further tightening is required. Kybella is also a great option for the double chin if you don't want surgery.  Kybella utilizes injections to break down the fat in the area of concern.  For all of your options, both non-surgical and surgical, schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon that can discuss all of your options with the various technologies available now.

Grant Stevens, MD

Which Treatment To Choose For A Double Chin

Hi Stacey. Your questions are all valid. There are several treatments to reduce a double chin. Each treatment you mentioned can be effective when performed on appropriate candidates. Two other treatments which are also effective are Kybella and ThermiTight. Determining which treatment would be most appropriate for you should be decided during an in-person consultation and evaluation with a physician who performs a variety of treatments for double chins. Best wishes. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Treatment of double chin

There are several treatment options to help with a double chin.  The traditional method is using liposuction, which can be very effective.  Aside from removing some of the fullness from fat, the skin can retract as well in some people.  A relatively new method of treating a double chin is using an injectable medicine called Kybella.  This normally requires several treatment sessions to gradually reduce the fullness.  The third method is CoolSculpting.  This is a relatively new area of treatment with CoolSculpting but has been shown to be effective in reducing fullness.  It will not tighten the skin however.  I have not personally felt the applicator which is used for this area, but it is relatively small and I would doubt that there is much pain involved.  Generally speaking, when people have pain after CoolSculpting, it is usually on the abdomen.  Ultherapy can be a useful treatment to help tighten the skin and I have seen good results with it in the neck.  It is difficult to give you advice as to which treatments might be best for you without examining you or at least seeing pictures of you.  I would say it is worth having a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss more details about possible liposuction of your neck.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon