Do I have gynecomastia? What can I do to get rid of it if I do? (photos)

I'm an athlete, never been on steroids, and my body fat has always been around 10% or less. I didn't start going through puberty until around 17, and I'm 26 now. Do I just wait and see if this goes away?

Doctor Answers 9

Consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to Determine Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. 
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Gynecomastia (male breast enlargement)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Consultation is necessary with a board-certified plastic surgeon so that he or she can review your history and examine you.  Gynecomastia can be genetic or result from weight gain, medications, supplements, steroids, hormones, or other breast problems.  If you are a candidate for surgery, you may be able to have liposuction - only gynecomastia surgery.   Contact a plastic surgeon in your area for further evaluation. 

George Lawson III, MD, FACS
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Do I have gynecomastia? What can I do to get rid of it if I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful in some cases.
My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Can gynecomastia go away at 26 years of age?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
When male breasts appear during puberty, and don't go away within two years, it is most likely permanent and can only be removed by surgery. After nine years I would recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 81 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and photos and from them without an examination you do appear to have gynecomastia so see some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 I agree completely with the first comment but would like to emphasize something. It is amazing how many people do not appreciate the fact that these over-the-counter supplements contained various chemicals and steroids which cause this kind of situation on a routine basis. They are not regulated and the manufacturers do not have to tell you you're taking steroids. If surgery is the answer to this type of thing responds nicely to a procedure done through the armpit with no visible scar removing just some tissue beneath the areolar. Good luck with it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your question.
It appears you have some breast tissue
You should also check your OTC supplements and other meds to make sure they aren't contributing to this.
If it is gynecomastia, surgery might be your best option.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If gynecomastia does not go away after 1-2 years it will not disappear.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 89 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question.  Based on your photos, you do not appear to have significant gynecomastia.  That being said, without an exam, where the tissue can be palpated, it is difficult to tell.  Best to be evaluated by a board certified surgeon to give you the most accurate answer.  Best Regards

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.