Genetic proptosis or ptosis? Can I improve the aesthetics of my uneven eyes? (photos)

Ever since I was a kid my right eye has been bugger but now it is extremely noticeable. In addition my vision has been progressively getting worse and my contact prescription is at -6.00 for both eyes.

Doctor Answers 4

Uneven eyes

Thank you for your question.  An in person consultation with a specialist would be the first step to determine the exact cause of the asymmetry. Once that is determined, the most appropriate treatment option(s) to address the issue would be discussed with you.  Good luck.  

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Ptosis versus proptosis

Thanks for your question. Based on the photos, we cannot tell whether the asymmetry is due to proptosis or ptosis. It could also be a combination of both. An in person evaluation would be helpful to figure out what is going on. There are some simple, non-surgical measures that could be attempted that can improve the asymmetry. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Inherited large bulgy looking eye

You likely have larger right eyeball from myopia but it could be due to something else. Best to see ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. There is a treatment for reducing the bulgy appearance of the right eye to make eyes more symmetric. See following link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Proptosis vs ptosis

It isn't possible to say for sure given these photos. You may have proptosis of the right eye or ptosis of the left eye. An in person consultation will be necessary to determine for sure. In either case there are various treatments available to improve the symmetry of your eyes.  If you are in Salt Lake City I'd be happy to meet with you. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.