I'm looking for an over the counter retinol product for fine lines around eyes and on forehead.

I would like to find something to treat the fine lines around my eyes and on my forehead. I've read that retinol products are best for this. I know this is available in a prescription but are there any suggestions for over the county beauty products that contain retinol to start out with. Eventually I would like to meet with a doctor to talk about a prescription. I'm 28 and would like to prevent any more from forming for a while.

OTC Retinol...pick SkinCeuticals

There are actually many effective OTC retinol products. In my opinion, the best is either SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.5 or 1.0. I like to have patients use the 1.0 and if it's too strong for daily use, cut down to every few days. You can also apply a moisturizer right over the product to help avoid dryness and should always apply retinol at night to dry skin. But these products have great scientific research behind them and are wonderfully cosmetic in feel too. You can order directly from their website, or find an office in your area that carries the products. (Don't order online from random sites as they are unlicensed and often sell old or expired products - or worse, counterfeit!) Though this product seem a bit costly, the small bottle should last you about a year and requires only a single pump each time you use it.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Try Neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair

This product is about the best one OTC. It contains retinol and in a high concentration from a company whose manufacturing and packaging insures optimal stability and efficacy. I actually tested it along with 4 others for Prevention magazine, using Visia analysis, and this product performed the best. Now, it doesn't hold a candle to prescription strength products or the results seen with Fraxel or Botox, but it is a great place to start. 

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist