I had BA 5 weeks ago. PS said i have CC and prescribed meds. Will this help me or would I need revision?

I do massage 4x a day been doing it since day two of surgery

Capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question.  5 weeks post op is a bit early for capsular contracture to start to form.  Medications can sometimes slow the process, but rarely reverse it.  It's too early to start discussing revisions, but on occasion this is what is needed if an asymmetry persists. Best wishes. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Early Capsular Contracture

Hi sosaadilene,

So soryy to hear you are having problems after breast augmentation. The good news is that sometimes aggressive ealy intervention can change the course of capsular contracture. You are doing all the right things. Do not be afraid to be aggressive with the scar massage. I'm a believer in Singulair, and I have seen it really help some patients. Now is  the time to start it. Make sure that you continue to follow up with your surgeon regularly.

Good luck!

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Depends

Frequently, early onset capsular contracture (cc), can be blunted or even reversed with Accolade or Singulair. If that is the medication you are on, it is frequently used in this scenario. The best person to ask this question, though, is your surgeon. It can help avoid a revision, but depending on the course of the CC, you may still require a revision. My recommendation is to wait until the CC is mature, meaning it hasn't changed, progressed or regressed, and hasn't changed in a few months. Others, you might be adding insult to injury by going in an operating on something that only occurred because you had an operation.

Best.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Healing at 5 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.