How soon can I get breast revision after BA? Am I really limited to HP silicone for the size I want and only 395-450cc? (Photos)

I had a BA on 9/29/16. I wanted full round big breasts that fill a D cup. I am 5'2" 104.9 lbs. PS recommended 395-450cc HP range for my size goal. I opted for 430cc hp (I tried for change to bigger size before surgery but it was too late and I would need to reschedule, I was from out of state & flew my sister in. This was not an option. I've had regrets since about not going bigger. 1 month postop measured 32C at VS. It looked funny d/t high pole but don't fill a D cup d/t smaller lower breasts.

How Soon Can You Get a Breast Implant Revision

Typically, it's best to wait 6 to 12 months depending on the reason for #revision.  Matters such as sagging or drooping  and size change will not improve with time. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which is usually discussed with you during your consultation.

Too Large for Your Chest

Bra cup sizes are meaningless. So stop thinking in those terms. What matters is how you look in the mirror. However, you are at or past your anatomic capacity at this point and would be better off waiting a period of time for you tissues to expand and relax. Unfortunately, You may experience complications from these or larger implants that will lead to re-operation: unpredictable thinning and stretching of tissues, implant malposition, and rippling. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Want to go larger ASAP!

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• You have a small frame and large implants.
  • They look too large for your frame in fact - they are well out on the side of your chest.
  • I strongly recommend that you do nothing for six months before making any change .
  • You may be able to get more volume with an ultra-high profile implant if you are still dissatisfied in six months.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Best to wait 6 months after original BA before revision

It will take a full 6 months for the implants to settle and for you to "adjust" to your new look.  I have had many patients who want their implants exchanged at 6 weeks after surgery, and after waiting 6 months, about 95% of them keep their current implants.  It is both a physical and psychological adjustment that occurs.  Remember, you spent countless hours before surgery picking the size, paid good money, went through the pain from the procedure, went through the recovery, don't throw all that away!  Stick with your implants for now and re-evaluate at 6 months.  At that time you will have a much better feeling of where you would like to be size wise.

Remove and replace (R & R) procedures are much easier than the original procedure.  There is less pain and swelling and most people are back to work in 3 days.  In my experience, to make a noticeable difference in size on a R & R, there needs to be a 50% increase in breast implant volume.  That would put you in the 600-650 cc range for the new implants.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How soon can I get breast revision after BA? Am I really limited to HP silicone for the size I want and only 395-450cc?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Sorry to hear you are not happy with your results. You are only one month post-op so ideally you should wait another 2 months or so before evaluating your final results. The implant will settle and perhaps create a more natural lower pole fullness and fill a bra better. That being said, if you are already unhappy with the size and want to be bigger, you are likely not going to like the results more as time goes by, the implants settle, and the swelling goes down. 

You need to discuss with your plastic surgeon a possible revision in the future to increase your size. I am betting that your surgeon limited your size based on the width of your chest. Based on the pictures, you have already pushed the envelope in terms of the width and it would be ill-advised to choose an implant wider than your chest as this can lead to unnatural results and complications. If you are maxed out at a current volume of 430 cc, then the only option remaining may be to go to an UHP (Ultra High-Profile) implant which would likely give you an additional 100-150 cc of volume in the same width. But beware, these implants are only very rarely used for augmentation in my practice as they can often produce very projected and unnatural results. 

Hope this helps!

How soon can I get breast revision after BA?

if a patient wants larger volume breast implants it is generally best to wait 6 months or so in order to allow the tissues to expand to accomodate the increased volume. If we look at your photos we can see the current implant goes as far to the side as it possibly can and as far toward the breastbone as it can, thus there is no room at this point for a larger implant. We always try and make it extremely clear to all patients the augment is NEVER done to fit a specific bra, that is just not possible. The procedure is performed to give you a shape and volume more in keeping with a 3-dimensional goal. Your current look is that of a DD or DDD in volume relationship between the ribcage and torso and the implants. If a patient enters into surgery with unrealistic expectations it is unlikely they will ever be satisfied with their results.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How soon can I get breast revision after breast augmentation?

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery. Given that you are only one month out of surgery, it is quite possible that you are experiencing significant “emotional ups and downs” unnecessarily. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

It is true that every patient undergoing breast augmentation surgery has an anatomic starting point will limit the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.    In other words, a patient's starting anatomy will limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. The use of a larger breast implant (than what is safely "allowed" by the patient's anatomy) can be problematic;  potential problems include breast implant displacement/malpostion issues ( such as bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia...)  and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.  Again, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with (regardless of specific cup size achieved).