How soon after liposuction is it okay to try cool sculpting? I'm 21 and heal fast, and I'm about 4 months post-op.

Liposuction then CoolSculpting

Dear louboutinlate:

The healing time following liposuction is no less than 3 and many times 6-12 months before you will see your final effect. During this period of time, there is swelling and lumpy scar and resolving fatty tissue healing which will change in appearance until remodeling and smoothening of the tissues occur. Massage will also be helpful during this period of time to hasten the healing process.

I would be concerned that liposuction was not performed effectively if you are considering CoolSculpting (CS) in the same area following liposuction after 4 months or that you have not been quite patient enough.

CS is terrific for fatty bulges of skin as it is a non-surgical means to fat reduction but only removes limited amounts of fat. It is also quite useful following liposuction should there be an areas of residual fatty bulges without returning to the operating room for revision.

Be sure to reduce your weight by the amount of fat removed or fat will redistribute in the living cells left behind from liposuction (and CS) or redistribute to other areas.

I would recommend returning to your liposuction physician to review your progress and discuss what else may optimize your outcome.

I hope this has been helpful! All the best!

CoolSculpting After Liposuction

We often get people who have had liposuction in the past and would now like CoolSculpting. Some patients also request CoolSculpting shortly after liposuction because of symmetry issues, etc. We always recommend they wait at least 6 months for their liposuction treatment to fully heal before doing CoolSculpting. If you want CoolSculpting in an area that is unrelated to your liposuction then you don't have to wait. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting After Liposuction

I am unsure why you would need coolsculpting performed. I would consider posting photos, I am wondering if more superficial high definition type liposuction is needed to more refine what you had done.  Coolsculpting can be done as early as 3 months but I tell people to wait 6-12 to see the final results of the liposuction.  If you are unhappy I would consider a second opinion.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting after lipo

If I am performing CoolSculpting in the same area I did lipo in, I would at least wait 6 months. You want to be fully healed from the liposuction procedure before doing CoolSculpting, and it often takes at least 6 months to do so. 

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting After Surgery

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure to avoid unnecessary surgery. Since you already had liposuction I would recommend that you wait 6 months from the surgery since you may still have some swelling that needs to be resolved.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in cool sculpting.

CoolSculpting after Liposuction

We have used CoolSculpting with success to treat patients with post liposuction deformities that were deemed uncorrectable by more liposuction.  That said, every case is different.  I would speak with the surgeon who performed your lipo as well as a CoolSculpting expert to determine your best option as well as timing.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting post Liposuction

Typically, the wait time post liposuction to have coolsculpting is approximately 6 months. Consult with the physician who will be performing the coolsculpting so he or she can guide you accordingly.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool sculpting

Thanks for your question. I would probably wait at least 6 months to allow complete healing from your liposuction before doing cool sculpting. Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon