What can I do to make it smaller? (Photo)

As long as I can remember my labia has always rubbed on my panties and caused problems. It looks so ugly! I'm not sure if potential partners agree because I have been so ashamed to show anyone. I'd like to make it more comfortable. What are my options?

Enlarged labia

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you have enlarged labia which normal variance of anatomy. If it bothering you please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation for labiaplasty and to discuss your goals.

What can you do to make it smaller?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

You appear to be an ideal candidate for labiaplasty

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns and questions on RealSelf.  The discomfort you describe is similar to many patients who elect to have labiaplasty.  In addition, you appear to be an ideal candidate for the procedure. I believe that you will feel much greater comfort and self-confidence following a procedure and encourage you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience in labiaplasty procedures. 

I wish you all the best,

Jenn Harrington, MD

Labiaplasty

You would be an excellent candidate for a labiaplasty procedure. Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty and has extensive experience performing this procedure. 

Labia Concerns

That you for the question.  From the photo, you seem like a good candidate for a labiaplasty.  Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns in detail.  Good Luck.  

Labiaplasty: A Personal Decision

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  

Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty

Your labia minora are enlarged but not massively enlarged. A labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Candidate

You're definitely a good candidate for posterior wedge labiaplasty! This is often performed in a plastic surgeons clinic & has high rates of patient satisfaction when performed by plastic surgeons who are experienced with this procedure.

Labiaplasty

You should consider doing a labiaplasty procedure. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.

There are many types of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia and it excises excess tissue around the clitoris (i.e. prepuce and clitoral hood) when needed.

It looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively patients experience less pain, in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Woman's issues

This is a very common problem, so don't feel like you're alone.  The typical treatment for this is a labiaplasty and potentially a clitoral hood reduction.  This will reduce the overhang of the labia and improve the exterior appearance, and hopefully give you that self confidence you've always wanted.  See a PS in your area and he/she will help you out.