TT with muscle repair and umbilical hernia repair (combined with BA) - (photo)

debating on having a TT- muscle repair/umbilical hernia (I'm going to combine with a BA) insurance wont cover-network provider. Will having just the hernia repair help or does it need to all be done at the same time? Saw a surgeon mention that some repair for a reduced cost/ free if insurance does not pay. Does a hernia usually occur with the muscle sep? TT muscle repair is $6750. hernia repair1500-1800.only had 1 consultation, does this seem normal? (I cant even try on sizers until my preop)

Combining Multiple Procedures with a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Hernia with tt

some charge or try to charge a bunch to transfer the cost of tummy tuck to insurance which is not unreasonable since much of the cost is or, anesthesia, and time. When doing a tummy tuck most belly button hernias adds only 5 or ten minutes. So I don't bother to charge since I don't do insurance. 
Good jack

Mark Eberbach, MD

TT with muscle repair and umbilical hernia repair (combined with BA) -

Thank you for the question. In my opinion, the best time to repair the umbilical hernia is at the same time that you're having a tummy tuck done. At that time, the hernia is easily  exposed and repaired,  negating the need for further surgery. Care must be taken during the performance umbilical hernia repair to avoid compromise of blood flow to the overlying skin. It would be in your best interest to have these procedures done concomitantly.   Please make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps.

Aug with Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

Thank you for your question.  You can have the umbilical hernia repair performed separately if you wish.  I offer a significantly reduced rate for the hernia repair if insurance does not cover that portion of the operation.  The tummy tuck is for cosmetic purposes to tighten your belly and remove the excess skin that comes from weight loss or pregnancy.  It is a little unusual that you cannot try on sizers until your pre-op appointment.  At my practice we like you to try sizers on the initial consult along with 3-D imaging to give you an idea of what you will look like and give me an idea of what your goals of surgery are.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over - when should hernia be repaired?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck, breast augmentation and hernia repair.
  • Insurance will not pay for tummy tucks these days -
  • They should pay for hernia repairs.
  • You are unlikely to see much improvement with hernia repair alone - it seems to be a small umbilical hernia.
  • True hernias are not common with muscle separation but can occur.
  • I assume your tummy tuck surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon -
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS