Are saline or silicone implants best for droopy 34DD breasts? (photo)

Saline or silicone implants? I have natural (droopy) 34DD breast (after kids) & want a lift w/small implant. Which is best?

Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift Options

It's important to understand that when patients have significant breast sag, breast augmentation by itself won't correct the problem. Under these circumstances, breast lift surgery is usually always required. A variety of breast lift procedures are currently available. The specific procedure chosen will depend upon your physical exam and anatomic findings.

When patients want larger breasts or additional upper breast fullness, it's not unreasonable to combine this procedure with a breast augmentation. Under these circumstances, a variety of breast implants are available for this procedure.

Silicone implants tend to feel more natural and are less likely to ripple. Saline implants are less expensive and their volume can be adjusted during the procedure. The size of implant utilized is dependent upon the patient's aesthetic goals. Most patients are striving for harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding anatomic structures. They want a natural look with slight upper breast fullness.

If you're considering this type of procedure, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Saline or Silicone Implants for a Breast Lift

Breast #implants come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and profiles in order to offer a custom-fit and natural-looking physique. It is also important to consider the substance and texture of an implant. In particular, those implants approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are filled with #silicone or # saline. These materials impact the feel and look of a breast implant, and thus are an important consideration in determining the desired appearance of your breasts.

Preference varies per surgeon and according to each patient's case. The reasons and will further be discussed during your consultation with Dr. Nichter or Dr. Horowitz to help you make your final selection.

Best type of breast lift

The key for you is to get the right kind of breast lift. Looking at your photo, a vertical (aka lolipop) lift will suit you best by providing not only more lift but a more natural breast and nipple-areola shape . Silicone is my choice for the most natuarl breast, generally considered to look and feel more natural. Also, keep in mind that the more anatomically the implant fits to your body the better will be the long term result. 

Saline or silicone gel breast implants with lift for droopy breasts

I agree that a breast lift with a vertical component such as a lollipop lift or anchor lift is best to restore the shape of your breast.

The choice of a saline or silicone gel breast implants is entirely up to you and your plastic surgeon.  Both are safe and both can produce a nice aesthetic result.

Be aware however that saline breast implants can often cause visible ripples which is a main distraction for many plastic surgeons.

Breast lift

Thank you for the pictures.

Based on your pictures I strongly feel that an anchor incision breast lift would be best for your breast as well as implant placement, silicone high profile 375-400 cc.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Silicone or saline breast implants?

In general, the key for you is to get the right kind of breast lift.  Based upon your photo, a vertical (aka lolipop) lift will suit you best by providing not only more lift but a more natural breast and nipple-areola shape in the long run. Silicone is generally considered to look and feel more natural as well, however because you have ample breast tissue to cover the implants, the differences may be minor.  Also, keep in mind that the more anatomically fitted the implant is to your breasts/body the better will be the long term result.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Saline or silicone

You do indeed need a lift with a small implant.  Personally, I like to use saline but each surgeon has their own preference.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Are saline or silicone implants best for droopy 34DD breasts?

The choice for implants is really up to you.  There are pros and cons of each.  Due to the fact that you have a lot of tissue covering the implant, the advantages of silicone of softness and less rippling are not as marked.

Droopy breasts and implants

It doesn't matter if you use silicone or saline implants, you will need a lift to raise the breasts and tighten the skin envelope.

Cure for sagging breasts

Thanks for your question -

Implants will certainly make the loss of volume you have (especially in the superior pole of your breasts) better.  You may also need a lift to achieve your ideal breast shape.  The downside of a lift of course is additional scars.

Try to find a few pictures of ideal breasts and bring them with you to your consultation.  It can really help you and your plastic surgeon find a shared goal.

I hope this helps!