Old saline breast implants?

I've had saline breast implants since 1998. They are not behind muscle wall. One is hard, not changed in size, the other soft, has decreased in size. They are both rippled under neath. I have been told it costs more money for a re-augmentation. Why? and do I have to be careful they way they are now? Thank you for your time. Roberta (and I have bad credit)

Redo of breast implants likely to be more costly with new physician

Saline implants placed under the gland and above the muscle have the highest likelihood of causing problems with shape, leakage, and capsular contracture, especially after fifteen years. You may be experiencing a firm capsule on one side and a leaking implant on the other. Proper treatment would be to remove both implants and replace them with new silicone implants under the muscle. As to the price, if you stay with the same doctor, the price will likely be lessened in accordance with his desire to please you.

Chosing another doctor is advisable if you feel the original doctor did not use the best judgement or have the highest skill. In that setting, the cost is likely to be more because of the need to explant two implants with capsulectomy, dissect new submuscular pockets, and reinsert new implants beneath the muscle, and then determine if additional lift is necessary with mastopexy.

Old salkine

They are fine .They should probably be replaced but do not have to be.the left which is smaller and softer may be leaking.I wouyld go with silicone next time and maybe under the muscle depending on how much breast tissue you now have.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Re Augmentation of Saline Implants

Thank you for your question. The reason the implants cost more in your case may be three-fold. First, you likely have a capsular contracture on one side (the side that is hard). The capsule has to be removed or at least release. Second implants are costlier today than in 1998. Third if you have rippling, and the implants are over the muscle, you will likely need to have the implant placed under the muscle and may require a breast lift. The answers to you questions lie in a proper exam. I encourage you to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to truly get you questions answered.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tampa Florida

Toronto Breast Augmentation

It sounds like you may have a capsular contracture on one side. You need to be examined in person to determine this. If you do have a CC, the surgery is more involved and thus more expensive. Be sure to see a board certified PS in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Higher cost of re-augmentation

First off, implants cost a lot more these days compared to 1998. Second, from the sounds of things you have a capsular contracture on at least one side which means removing the scar tissue will have to be done. This all takes more time and effort than the original augmentation which translates to a more expensive surgery. Hope this helps! good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon