How much swelling is still present at two months post closed rhinoplasty? (photos)

I got closed rhinoplasty two months ago (sept 16). The front and left profile looks great . My right profile is still a bit bold best and it looks as though my nose tip is pointed down sometimes . I know the doctor said that he had to do more graphs on my right side because it was more "flimsy". I just want to know if the slight downward point when I smile is going to persist or if this is something that is going to clear up with time.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

This very issue was studied last year at Yale University and presented at the Rhinoplasty Society annual meeting. Approximately 80% of the swelling has subsided by six weeks but it takes one year for all of the swelling to subside. Swelling has been shown to be able to be controlled with night taping.  Hope this helps

Closed rhinoplasty post op swelling with grafts

You are still very early in your recovery and will have some degree of swelling for months to come, even up to a year.  It is not unusual for one side to look different initially, especially when grafts are involved.  Be sure to keep all your post-op appointments and an open dialogue with your board certified rhinoplasty expert.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Post op rhinoplasty

It is very early on in your recovery period and you can expect to have at least moderate amount of swelling.  It may take up to a year for all the swelling to go down.  I recommend that you continue to follow up with your surgeon.  Good luck~

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Endonasal approach

Typically a "close" nose will heal faster than an open approach as there is less skin and soft tissue dissection. In your case, however, the doctor had to do more work on the right side so there may be more swelling than on the left. Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon as he can help you out with the bumps and other hurdles you may encounter in your recovery process. 

Aric K. Park, MD

Recovering from Rhinoplasty: evaluating your result after 2 months

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. 

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. 

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

It takes weeks to months for the swelling to subside.  If revision surgery is needed, usually that is not considered until 1 year post op.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD