What is the best treatment to remove age spots on the face? (Photo)

I am 39 yo female and have a few age spots on my face. I have had them for a few years. I've tried glycolic acid, kojic acid, and Rodan & Fields Reverse with no luck.

Age spots on the Face

When targeting age spots, I use a laser or broad band light source that is selectively absorbed by melanin (pigment).  I typically start with a Max G IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) as this is very effective.  If the pigmentation is deeper than the superficial layers, then I use a Picosure Focus Lens which works wonderfully for pigmentation.  The only caveat is to not be tan prior to treatment.  Also, make sure to protect your investment by using Vitamin C serum (which is not only an antioxidant, but also a photoprotector) and sunscreen with SPF of at least 30.

Hope that helps!

Huntersville Ophthalmologist

Fraxel dual

Fraxel Laser treatment would be the best option for fading options. It works by resurfacing the skin. Another option would be a TCA skin peel which can help remove the age spots. 

Yannis Alexandrides, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Seborrhoeic Keratosis

Hi There 

If they have grown over a period of months or years they are probably seborrhoeic keratosis. 

The options are wide but I tend to remove them with a technique called radiosurgery - they virtually never scar and heal quickly.

Dinesh Maini, MBChB
London Physician

Laser and Skin Care

Thank you for your question. When treating age spots, it's best to use a combined method. Obagi is a great skin care system that will help to even out your skin tone and smooth out your texture. You may also want to consider IPL laser. This will remove the darker spots and lessen the redness in the skin. However it is best to discuss your options with a certified physician in your area. This will guarantee that you get the best results. Good luck!

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Melarase creams and fractional lasers for sunspots

I would use a combination of q switch laser, Melarase AM and Melarase PM, fractional lasers, and Melapeels to help improve your sunspots. 

Dr.  Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Q Switch laser

I would use a Q switch laser, however if this lesion is raised, an erbium or CO2 will be needed. Fractional lasers such as Fraxel can fade these lesions, but other lasers are aimed at removing the majority of the pigment in one session. More on pigmentation in the link below 

Dr Davin Lim

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Age spots

There are many different possibilities that can help assist you with the lightening of these areas. Things such as chemical peels or CO2 to name a couple. These are on 2 different spectrums of the scope but either can help. CO2 is the more aggressive and the quickest way to get results where chemical peels are less invasive as the CO2. You should seek a face to face consultation with a certified physician or provider who specializes in this area. This way you can ask all the questions you need as well as the attending physician/provider can also address your concerns properly.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD