What is the best option for age spot removal on the face? (Photo)

I am a 39 y/o female with a few age spots I would like removed. I have had these spots since my early 30's. I have tried kojic creams, glycolic acid, Clinique, and Rodan & Fields Reverse with out any luck.

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Dark age spots....erased.

My favorite way to treat these prominent age spots is to use a q-switch laser. With the correct wavelength the dark spots can be safely treated without leaving any marks. Most will completely clear within 1-2 sessions, and the recovery is quick, I find that this works better than IPL or Fraxel for age spots in particular. Best, Dr P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser and Obagi

Age spots can be difficult and time consuming to treat. However IPL laser can be a very good option. You would need to visit a local dermatologist to determine if you are a good candidate. It may take several sessions, depending on how strongly they want to treat. It may be a good idea to also incorporate Obagi. It is a skin care system specifically designed to improve pigment concerns. 

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment options for facial brown spots

Great question. Brown spots, such as those in your photos, are largely the result of UV exposure. Flat, "lentigines", are small, pigmented dyschromias composed of benign (harmless) nests of melanocyte hyperplasia (benign proliferation) with clearly defined edges, surrounded by normal appearing skin. These brown spots can be dramatically improved with light-energy devices such as the Nordlys Hybrid.  Any skin changes that seem in any way suspicious should be brought to the attention of a skin cancer specialist.  Of course, it is also critical that further UV exposure be curtailed to prevent further proliferation of brown spots or recurrence of previously treated ones. I hope this is helpful.

Age Spot/Sun Spot on Face and Alex-Trivantage

The Alex Trivantage is the best laser for age/sun spots as it usually only requires one treatment to remove these deep dark spots that topical products can not treat.  Best, Dr. Green

Best option for age spots on face

Hi jgardner5,

It seems that your efforts that have not provided you with results are based on various skincare approaches. My recommendation would be to seek the advice of a dermatologist specializing in laser/cosmetic procedures who will first give you a diagnosis for the irregular pigmentation (i.e., what exactly the spots are) and then provide you with a treatment plan to lighten the appearance of the spots. In the meantime, please use a broad spectrum physical UVA/UVB block everyday and throughout the day if your skin is exposed to the sun. Best, Manish Khanna, MD

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon