I am interested in getting liposuction? But I'd very nervous I don't want no scars will I be left with one I have keloids?

Hi. The incisions for liposuction are very very small and with time become imperceptible. There is no surgical procedure that can be carried out with out leaving some scar. However, of all the cosmetic procedures, lipo is probably the one that leaves the smallest scars.

when selecting your surgeon, research, research and then research some more. The key is............ does the surgeon have a keen sense of aesthetics? Can he/she create a shapely, attractive figure  or are they just technicians that wind up with large unshapely forms? The same holds true for the liposuction portion of the procedure. Understand that liposuction whether SAL, PAL or UAL ( not including LAL because the fat obtained through this technique will not be useful) is not that technically challenging. However, the keen aesthetic eye will determine the eventual work of art.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction and fat transfers. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck, Dr PG

I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist in your area (link below) who is very experienced in body contouring. It is highly unusual to keloid from liposuction, but without examining your skin in person, it is impossible to predict how you would react. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Liposuction and Techniques and Scars -- SmartLipo Versus VASER Versus Traditional Versus WAL Versus ThermiRF

I suggest you find an expert, in all the years of doing liposuction I have had almost no keloids or any issues with scarring.  Lasers, 5fu/steroids, and small surgeries can be performed if you do get scars, but often with gentle techniques the skin heals very nicely.  Find only an expert that HIDES THE SCARS.  Don't let anyone do incisions on the center of your body there is absolutely no reason to.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Keloid Scarring

Liposuction on some patients leaves a small incision scar. Any keloid scarring can be treated with kenalog injections.

Liposuction 101

Liposuction is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results in a variety of areas and a in a variety of patients. That said, the ideal liposuction candidate has localized fat deposits and quality overlying skin without significant excess skin or skin damage. Fat can then be removed to a]strategically sculpt the body and accentuate feminine curves. The skin then retracts over the new shape to give the final result.

That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.
A key quality indicator is Board Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Most keloids really are hypertrophic scars and easy to treat please show to your plastic surgeon any scars on your body. The Liposuction requires small incisions in areas that are unlikely to show( Lower abdomen, bra line, groin, knee crease, etc)..Dont be afraid!...Good luck ,Dr.Brenda Pache

Brenda Pache, MD

Typically the scars from liposuction are quite small.  If you have darker skin, you are more prone to scarring, however.  I try to hide the scars in my practice in areas that are well hidden. Lower abdomen, bra line, groin, knee crease, etc.  You would likely have a better idea how you scar if you have formed a previous scar.  Some scar gels and silicone sheets can help reduce the scarring after surgery. 

Keloid scars

Hello and thanks for the question. I agree with you that you should be concerned with stubborn keloid scars that may develop at the surgery access sites. You might consider non-invasive fat removal by a BCPS if you are candidate. Good luck. 

Dr. B

Skin Scarring is seldom an issue in liposuction patients.

The access points for liposuction are small poke holes. They can be red are hyper pigmented for a number of months but seldom are scar revisions necessary.

Scars after Liposuction

Although liposuction usually only requires several small incisions placed in easy to hide areas, they do still result in scars.  With your history of keloids and fear of scars, carefully consider this and discuss it with a plastic surgeon before having the procedure. The number and locations of scars will depend upon the number and locations of the treated areas desired. 

Sheryl Pilcher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon