I am a 28 year old woman wanting to start a quality anti-aging regimen. What should I do?

Hi. I am a 28 year old half asian half white woman. I want to start using a line of products that will actually help me age gracefully (if this makes sense). So far I am always told I look younger. Besides exercising, eating right and not smoking, I have a few skin concerns. I have large nose pores, dark circles under my eyes (most days), and some unevenness in skin color/texture. Should I just go to a dermatologist? should I get some type of procedures?

Doctor Answers 11

Seek a complexion analysis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
See if you can find a local provider that carries a Complexion Analysis System.  It will help pick up on subtle skin damage and problem areas and better guide your individual skin requirements.  We use Visia but there are other high quality systems out there.

You should also find a high quality sunscreen and defense cream.  We like using SkinMedica's Total Repair + Defense along with HA5 rejuvenating hydrator.  The latter contains high quality hyaluronic acid.  
Good Luck!

College Station Internist

Quality anti-aging - go to a dermatologist for a customized regimen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
For a quality anti-aging routine, your best bet is to go to a dermatology office.  Dermatologists are experts in the skin.  When I devise a regimen for a patient, I always want to know:
1) is the skin sensitive or rosacea-prone?
2) is the skin dry, normal, oily, acneic?
3) how much sun exposure?

In order of bang for the buck, I recommend the following:

1) The number one most important part of your regimen is sun protection by using a combination of sun avoidance, broad-brimmed hat, and a good daily sunscreen.  The best sunscreen is one that you will apply generously and daily!

2) Depending on the amount of sun exposure and the sensitivity of the skin, retinols and retinoids have decades of clinical research showing that they improve skin clarity, texture, and tone.  People with oily/tough skin tolerate retinoids best.  Another caveat is that retinoids make people more sensitive to the sun.  There are different strengths of retinoids and ways of using them so that even people with relatively sensitive skin may tolerate low doses.

3) For those with more sun exposure or more sensitive skin, I like products with antioxidants/vitamin C and/or growth factors.  

The other important thing to remember is that good skin care is supportive.  If you need correction, as well as maintenance, procedures such as chemical peels, micro channeling, radio frequency, can be very helpful.


I am a 28 year old woman wanting to start a quality anti-aging regimen. What should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your query. Chemical peels are one solution to dark eye circles, unevenness and also large pores to some extent. Chemical peels exfoliate the skin deeply and hydrate, lighten and brighten the skin. There are various types of peels present, the right kind can be known after examination of the skin. Thermage or thermi works better on the open pores as you see visible difference from a single sitting. Apart from these you should always wear sun block and proper night cream with vitamin c and retinol as their main ingredient. Hope it helps. 

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 228 reviews

Skin Resurfacing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Please visit the attached video for additional information. As it indicates, the best type of protection is a consistent regiment of sun protective lotion application as well as consistently wearing sun protective clothing. I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Skin care

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Great question! If you were seeing our practice, I would have you start with a complete consultation with one of our medical aestheticians in our skin care center. You should not expect to be paying high prices for products, just because you are in a doctor's office. You will likely be receiving physician-strength product lines that have been hand selected by the physicians, and counseled by a professional. The pricing is generally on par with a good department store product, but with better support and guidance. I would search for a plastic surgery practice near you that offers something similar. Best wishes to you.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Early start

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Congratulations and a great early start for your skin.
Retin A and sunscreens/hats are your best first steps for long term skin protection and rejuvenation.

Ag 28 with early aging changes how should I approach my skin care

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
At this early age you may be able to slow the aging changes.  It's great that you are asking questions regarding your skin in your 20's.  

I usually recommend that you find a good sun block.  Protect your skin and cleanse it nightly.

Continue eating right, exercising and not smoking.

To determine the cause of your dark circles and skin unevenness you can consult your Dermatologist.  They may offer a variety of treatments including creams and light office based procedures. 

Usually a skin fading cream such as hydroquinone and light acids (lactic acid, kojic acid, glycolic acid, retinoic acid  ....) may benefit you.  

On some occasions the dark circles can benefit from surgery or filler.

If you appear younger than your stated age, start conservatively.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Skin Care

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A Retin-A and a phycial blocking sunscreen (with zinc and titanium) should be in your must haves of products and daily use.  I would highly recommend considering getting on a regimen of medical facials and medical grade products.  Skin Medica's TNS Recovery Complex is a great daily serum that have antioxidants, proteins and vitamins.  Also consider starting early as a preventative with Botox to soften certain muscle movements for a continuous youth face.  
Hope this helps. 

Grant Stevens, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 152 reviews

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is the majority of my practice. you want to address these areas:
1) gravity/laxity with skin tightening
2) movement lines with botox and fillers
3) volume with fillers, sculptra, fat or implants
4) complexion with lasers, microneedling, skin care and peels

Please see an expert to make a treatment plan for you!

Best, Dr. Emer. 

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Anti-aging Regimen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This makes perfect sense – the earlier you start a good skin care regimen, the better! There are so many wonderful scientifically proven ingredients to help halt/reverse the aging process and address your concerns but my first recommendation would be to see a cosmetic board certified dermatologist. They will know what products and procedures are best for you and will be able to customize a regimen that addresses all of your concerns. My second recommendation is, if nothing else, invest in a good sunscreen that contains physical blockers such as Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide. Wearing sunscreen every day and reapplying every 2 hours is step number one on aging gracefully.

Kristine Romine, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.