Decision to make before going under the knife: incision area? Under arm or under breast?

I have a pre-op appt on Sept 8th and have some time to think about where I want the incision to be made. I've watch many before/after vlogs, pictures, etc. I'm still unsure which is a better bet or better when it comes to pain/recovery & least scarring. What's your recommendation?

Location of scar

Thank you for your question.  You have many options when it comes to breast augmentation surgery using implants.  For example, one technique that I have perfected is the scarless breast augmentation that uses a transaxillary incision that is hidden in the armpit to insert a saline implant beneath the muscle.  Please be sure to choose a surgeon that is board certified and an expert in the procedure.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast Augmentation location of incision

I understand your concern with regard to scars , however, I agree with the previous opinion, and recommend the incision under the breast fold.   It does allow for a precise pocket and it is still well hidden .

Chad Robbins, MD

Thanks for your question. 

That really will depend of your special case on your evaluation. Every surgeon have their preference, is important to discuss this with your surgeon to know your choice. 

Good luck. 

Walkiris Robles, MD

Incision under arm vs under breast

Hello, some patients already have a strong opinion where they would rather have the incision scar, and likewise surgeons will often have a preference for the incision.  Good results can be achieved with either approach.  My personal preference is the incision under the breast because I feel that this incision allows me to create a very precise implant pocket under direct vision.

Best incision

I usually perform the inframammary fold incision, because it gives me a direct vision of the pocket, and the scar can be well hidden.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Decision to make before going under the knife: incision area?

Hello. The trend in plastic surgery is to use the incision in the fold to reduce the risk of capsular contracture. Prevention of numbness has more to do with the surgeon knowing the anatomy and avoiding injury of the nerves. As for implants, the best choice depends on your breast shape and volume and your goals and objectives and can be best determined by a visit to a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation. The majority of breast implants used in the US today are smooth round implants placed under the muscle. Hope this helps.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Incision Preference

Thank you for sharing your great question about breast augmentation and breast implant incision for surgery.  This is a great discussion to have in person with your board certified plastic surgeon as there are risks and benefits of both incisions.  In our office our we tend to prefer to offer the inframammory fold incision or periareolar incision as the axillary incision can show and has a higher complication rate.  Be sure your plastic surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of the ASPS and ASAPS.  I hope this is helpful.
Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

In my practice I prefer to do it around the areola, so you don't have to deal with a scar that others can see, and is better for you

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Incision location for aug

Each surgeon has a preference. For me infra or circum areolar. I rarely do axillary option. Ask your chosen surgeon their choice. 

Incision Choices

Studies have show the axillary approach to have the highest bacterial count and the breast fold to have the least. Also, axillary incisions do not allow for a revision procedure (you will get a new scar), and this is incision is visible in a tank top or sun dress. However, the decision is up to you.

Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD