I'm 5'7, 169 lbs. Getting Breast Augmentation next week. My PS requires a mammogram but I'm only 30. Is that common?

Mammogram before breast surgery?

Recommendations for mammography prior to surgery will vary from one practice to another.

I would suggest you follow the radiologists' recommendation in regard to mammography. Assuming you are  40 years of age or older mammogram prior to surgery will be helpful. If you are younger than 40,  then it may or may not be indicated depending on your specic situation (personal/family history of breast cancer and/or  specific concerns on physical examination).  If in doubt, your primary care and/or Gyn physician's  recommendations will be helpful.  I hope this helps.

Is a mammogram necessary for a 30-year-old having breast augmentation

The short answer to your question is no.  Is important that you have routine visits with your gynecologist which includes breast examination and your plastic surgeon will perform 1 as well to check for masses or lumps.

I generally follow the guidelines of age 40 for mammograms.

Mammogram before breast augmentation?

Dear Mustangrl,
Thank you for your post.  In general, I follow the patient's gynecologists guidelines for mammograms which is commonly to start at age 40.  While getting a mammogram earlier is not a requirement for surgery, it is not harmful either.  1 in 8 women will get breast cancer so it is a valuable but not perfect screening tool.  I would talk it over with your surgeon and find what you both agree with.  
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram

If you have no family history, I don't see why you need one.  I doubt your insurance will cover it also.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

My PS requires a mammogram but I'm only 30. Is that common?

It is up to the discretion of the operating surgeon whether or not to get a pre-operative mammogram prior to BA. I would trust your PS and follow his recommendation 

Never can complain about being cautious. If that is the way your chosen surgeon practices than why argue. Mammograms are covered by health insurance or have a fee of from $100 to $200... 

Mammogram

I normally request a mammogram for women over 40 if they have not had one because I feel it is in their interest but it is not a requirement

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Mammogram at 30´s

Hi and Thanks for your question. At your age is not normal to ask for a mammogram a least that you have family with breast cancer history or in patients that beginnings the 40´s. I recommend to talk and discuss this with your surgeon, before you make a decision.

Hope this information help you.  

Manuel Marte, MD

I always get a preop mammogram on patients over 40, or if there are extenuating circumstances.

Hi mustangrl83.  I get preop mammograms on patients over 40.  If the patients have a strong family history of breast cancer, or other breast problems, then I may get a mammogram regardless of age. Without knowing your medical history, I can only persume that your plastic surgeon is correct in his requirements.  I suggest you discuss the issue with him or her.  Good luck.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Hello!   Thank you for your question.   The recommendation by the Radiologic Society is yearly mammograms beginning at age 40, or earlier if a family history of breast CA. After any breast procedure, the architecture will change. Consideration for mammogram is reasonable given this. However, at your age, I usually leave it up to the patient to get a baseline prior, unless anything concerning found on exam or for a family history.  Otherwise, I follow the above guidelines. Some surgeons request mammograms prior for any age. It will vary among surgeons.  Regardless, if you have concerns, always ask and discuss with your surgeon. Best wishes for a wonderful result!