Need help getting ride of, or at least reducing my gynecomastia. Its not as bad as some cases but very noticable.Any suggestion?

I am 18 years old and I've been living with very noticeable gynecomastia and my nipples stick out a lot I am athletic and love fitness but not being able to take my shirt off or even wear shirts normally is holding me back in life and its taken a toll on my self esteem. I really need to know if I can do something about it preferably not surgery

Doctor Answers 4

Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Better Determine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Noticeable Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have had this longer than 2 years it is not likely going away. Certainly you can see your primary physician to rule out any medical conditions but most of my patients say the change from the surgery changed their whole self esteem and interest in activities. Those who waited until they are in their 30's wish they had done it sooner. When you are ready, see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can show you a lot of patient photos so you can see the results you can expect. Best Wishes

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 68 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
At 18 it is possible that your gynecomastia is generated by hormones and may subside in next couple of years.  If it doesn't than glandular exision is pretty straight forward.  Depending on your weight, concomittant  liposuciton of the chest wall may also help.  Since this is taking a shot to your self esteem (and you are not alone on this one), then making an appointment with a plastic surgeon sooner rather than later is a good idea.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Non surgical options for gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It can be really tough trying to hide your chest problems when the rest of your body desperately wants to enjoy life! As you probably know, gynaecomastia has a lot of reversible causes and a good starting place is to speak to your physician or a plastic surgeon about checking that you do not have an underlying problem. This is also the best non-surgical cure. Otherwise, your treatment is prescribed according to the extent of your gynaecomastia. If you have just a slight prominence of your breasts without much glandular tissue, then liposuction through minimal access incisions will improve your contour without placing obvious scars on your chest. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.