Can a new crown be done over an old one that has broken off?

My front tooth crown broke off at nearly the gum line. There is still tooth there, so can I have a post, buildup and new crown done without having a root canal or having the tooth pulled? I am not at all interested in an implant.

Implants have a great success rate

This is hard to say without an x-ray to look at, but the therapy you describe has been used by dentists for years.  Sometimes the prognosis for this treatment is not great, so this has led to the more predictable treatment of extraction and implant with implant crown.  The implant option keeps the patient from spending the time and money on the Root canal, post build-up and crown option only to have it fail and then have to spend more time and money to do the definitive final treatment of extraction and implant.