I am confused about my botox for masseter.

Hello, First of all, I know my doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon, but I am questioning. Last June, I got my 1st Botox 30 U each side for masseter. My doctor told me I didn't have to come back to follow up until next 4 mos. I was surprised , but I trusted him. Two wks after injection, my jaw muscles were weak for a couple days, but my face didn't look slimmer. This Oct will be 4 mos, and I am concern. Does my doctor know what he is doing? Do I have to get 30 U each side again? Mine

Botox for masseter reduction

You may not see sufficient improvement after 1 session of Botox, so be patient. Try the treatment every 3-4 months for at least 2-3 treatments before deciding if its the right treatment for you to slim the face (by reducing the masseter muscle thickness).

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is a very effective way to make your jawline look more feminine.

Every patient is different. 30 units each side is actually a very reasonable dose. It can take a several sessions to see the effect. Be sure you are not chewing gum as that works those muscles and can work against your results. Also, speak to your dentist. Maybe you are a clencher or a grinder and a mouth guard at night can help untrain that overworked masseter.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox in Masseter Muscles

Thanks for your question!  Botox is an awesome way to slim out the jawline, but it will take some time and several treatments.  I recommend at least 25-30 units per side every 3-4 months.  Usually after 2-3 treatments patients will notice a difference.  Best of luck!

Botox for Masseters

Hello, and thank you for your question. 30 Units/ Masseter is an appropriate amount of Botox for each muscle.  Please contact your injecting physician, as he/she may have before and after photos for you to observe the change. Facial slimming with Botox does take a while to set in, therefore it is reasonable your follow-up is not until four months after initial injections.  Best, Justin Harper, MD. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Botox for masseter

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• Your surgeon's approach is standard.
  • You will probably need 30 units of Botox on each side every 4 months until you see the effect.
  • It takes on average 9 months.
  • The approach is different than for painful TMJ when more frequent injections are often needed.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Botox in the masseter muscle

Thanks for your question.  In my experience, it will typically take several months (and at least 2 injection sessions) to start to see the results you are looking for.  You should follow up with your surgeon and let him or her know your concerns.  Best of luck to you.  

Jeffrey G. Lind II, MD
The Woodlands General Surgeon

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question kittyjung2002. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to slim the lower face or to help with pain from TMJ. The muscle slowly gets smaller over time and multiple treatments may be necessary to achieve the desired result. Patience is important. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox for masseter sculpting

Your doctor is still right on target.  Botox weakens the muscle activity for 3-6 mos, and a dose of 30 units per masseter is relatively normal.  Since your muscle cannot contract, it slowly starts to shrink, just like any other muscle that does not get use.  So as you stay with the overall treatment, you will continue to see continued jawline refinement.  My experience has been that the results don't look too impressive after the first session, but after you undergo the second treatment the endpoint will be more obvious.  I would give it another chance!

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseters

The muscle weakness will occur within weeks but the loss of volume  can take months. The muscles get weak and you can not exercise them so they shrink. Think of it like that. If you are  weak and can't walk will your muscles in calfs disappear that day? 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Jaw botox

normally you could use upto50 units to weaken the master muscle the jaw muscle

that will flatten the muscle

it may take unto 1 week to be effective 

if you feel that it did not work 

2 issues

1 not enough botox

2 the tail of parotid gland may be present so it might still look full

then you must weaken the parotid gland as well

Kimit Rai, MD, FRCS(C)
Surrey Plastic Surgeon