I had my first session for hair removal and the hair got tougher and will barely shave. Also it grows back quickly. Why is this?

More Hair AFTER Laser Hair Removal

It's too early too tell. Keep in mind, it takes at least three to six sessions to remove hair permanently. It's also hard to answer without a before and after to compare. I'd keep with treatments. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Questions after 1 LHR treatment

It is way too early to have much effect with just one LHR treatment. Continue with the treatments. I recommend 6 at least. It is hard to give further details without knowing skin type, area treated, type of laser used. Paradoxical hair growth is a rare phenomenon which occurs in mediterranean heritage patients. I not familiar with it happening after one treatment though.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hair tougher after first hair removal session

Clients often have concerns after their first hair removal session.  Typically clients may see patches of decreased hair growth and large areas that appear unaffected by treatment.  Sometimes there can be a perception that the hair is growing back quickly or thicker as well - especially in areas where the client is not accustomed to shaving.  Unless you're having an actual medical problem or complication, stay with it - for most people laser hair removal works beautifully.  I would recommend bringing your concern back to the laser center so they can assess in person.  Best of luck!

Adam Gropper, MD
Aventura Radiologist