Tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck or skin removal? (Photo)

Mother of 3 kids, done having kids. Avid runner avg 20miles/wk. Mantained weight for 4 yrs I want to fix the excess skin on my abdomen with as minimal intervention as possible. My core is pretty strong, and you can see my hip and ribs. Not needing a perfectky flat stomach, just want the flap gone. Which procedure would you recommend for me?

Tummy Tuck

Although mini tummy tuck maybe the 'easier' option, at least from your photos, you look like you would be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.  More is involved in a full tummy tuck, but it can give a far superior result.  Meeting with a plastic surgeon who can properly examine your abdomen is important as even though you may have a strong core they can examine your muscles to see if you have any gaping.  Keep in mind that even though less is involved with a mini it is still surgery requiring usually a 6 week recovery. If you are going to undergo surgery you want to ensure you are having the one that gives you the best result! Your plastic surgeon can help determine which method would work best for you.

Edmonton Plastic Surgeon

Which Type of Tummy Tuck is Best

There is no substitute for having an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Having said that, it appears that a full tummy tuck would be a more appropriate procedure for you.  A consultation can allow you to voice your concerns and goals and your surgeon to explain the advantages and disadvantages of the different procedures so you can make an informed decision.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

Anything less than a full tummy tuck will be a waist of time and money. you have too much excess skin and it cannot be treated without a full TT.

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Tummy Tuck

Hello and congrats on achieving Motherhood and working to obtain a healthy lifestyle post pregnancy. Just from observing the photos you submitted, I would say that you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with limited liposuction to correct more difficult areas. You already have a nice shape and contour to your abdominal area, but having a full tummy tuck will remove the excess loose skin and tighten your abdominal muscles that were damaged during childbirth. Please know that this is a very common issue post pregnancy and you should be proud of how hard you've worked to maintain your current shape and weight. Without fully examining you, I think it's still safe to say that you should have a good result and you will have a good recovery. You will have to take a small break from running post-operatively but you will feel better than ever once you are able to resume normal activity. Please seek out a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who has extensive experience in tummy tucks/mommy makeovers/post-pregnancy rejuvenation. Good luck and best wishes on this journey!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Full tummy tuck

Hi, eer1980
Thanks for your question and photos.
Congratulations in losing weight and having maintained the weight for 4 years.
I think you will have a great result from full tummy tuck.
Full tummy tuck will allow more skin/fat removal and tightening of both upper and lower abdominal muscle to give you a great abdominal contour.
Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn about your options.
Best regards.

Abdominoplasty to flatten and improve abdominal contour

Hi,
Thank you for your question and photos.
I believe you will benefit the most from a full TT. A full TT will remove all your stretch marks and give you the best outcome overall. Make certain you are done with pregnancies and see a Board Certified Plastic surgeon.

Best wishes and kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Which tummy tuck for me?

Hello eer1980. Thanks for the photos and sharing your story - it looks like you have enough looseness and extra skin hanging to have the best results with a TT. Liposuction or mini tummy tuck alone can make loose skin worse. Without a full history - to asses your overall health status and and exam, I cannot fully recommend TT surgery - online. I have done many tummy tucks on individuals that share your anatomy. A tummy tuck can be performed with tightening of the muscles where the "pooch" is located and restores the anatomy to a flatter form similar to before pregnancy. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck or skin removal?

Thank you for your question.  You appear to be a candidate for a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) with or without liposuction of the flanks for improved contour.  A mini tummy tuck is not an option given the degree of excess skin present.  Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options.

Tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck or skin removal

If your concern is only the skin flap on the lower abdomen, then a mini tummy tuck will do fine for you

Julio Garcia, MD

You will see the most benefit from a full tummy tuck due to the amount of overhanging loose skin. A mini tummy tuck will really not give you much of a result. Liposuction to the hip area can be done with the tummy tuck to improve your waist contour.