Small bump at lower pile of 410 implant hours post-op. Rippling? Or just swelling/fluid post-op?

I 29yo 5"3 105lbs athletic w Saline 290cc x7y. Reviaed today 2/2 very signif rippling on the lat/sup poles &could feel valve & weak spots spots w/shell ballooning out After breastfeeding. Revised this AM capsulectomy pocket revision & replace w/410FF 335cc cohesive gel. I have not fully remove my bandaging but when I adjusted the band I noticed that while my prior rippling appears well resolved I have a small bulge on the left post aspect of the L breast also of note more drainage on the side

Small Bump Post Breast Implants

Thanks for your question and congratulations on completing your surgery.  You are still really early in the postoperative period and that makes it difficult to draw a conclusion at this point. For this particular area of concern, I would recommend follow up with your surgeon just to make sure there is no localized fluid or something like that.  I hope this is helpful. 

Rippling

Breast Implant Rippling most often occurs when there is insufficient soft tissue coverage due to little overlying body fat and breast tissue. Implants placed beneath the muscle help to minimize this phenomena but the lower and outside breast (as pectoralis muscle is no longer present), towards the cleavage where the muscle thins out or on top of the breast where breast tissue is often lacking are the most common places to see rippling. It is often accentuated with certain positions (e.g. bending over,or leaning). Most of the time, rippling is felt along the outer side of the breast and the inner side of the breast next to the cleavage. Breast implant waviness (rippling) that is felt but not noticeable to the eye is very common and should not be a concern. However, when rippling is visible, patients are often self-conscious about their appearance.
Factors that are associated with increased rippling include:
  • Traditional Saline implants (IDEAL® Saline implants less likely)
  • Textured implants
  • Large implants
  • Thin patients with low BMI
  • Implants placed above the muscle
  • Prior history of rippling
Factors which are less likely to have rippling include:
  • Heavier and larger breasted women
  • Using a highly cohesive form-stabile silicone implants (gummy bear)
  • Smooth implants
  • Smaller implants
  • Submuscular placement
Once rippling occurs it is very difficult to correct. Rippling can be minimized by placing a biologic fabrics (e.g. AlloDerm®, Strattice™, SERI®), submuscular conversion if implants are above the muscle, fat transfer, use of adjacent tissue (muscle or fascia) if available, and in persistent cases implant removal and fat transfer. Seek the care of the best board certified plastic surgeon possible with experience in breast revision surgery.

#rippling
#breastaugmentation

Breast augmentation

Hello 

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are still in the infancy of your recovery. Try to be patient and give your body the time it needs to recover. Typically you can see most of your results at 3-6 months, however true settling is 6-12 months. 

Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD