I am a performer. My nose was broken in a show and I went to a doctor and they said it was broken but not out of place.

I didn't even notice until a couple years later. Is it normal that a nose would get crooked slowly over time? A doctor recently told me I had a deviated septum. What are my options to straighten just the tip? I have no bump and my nose is great otherwise. It looks way more crooked in pictures that it actually is.

Scarless Rhinoplasty

I recommend you consult with a scarless rhinoplasty surgeon to see how he could address the tip of your nose and fix your breathing as well.  

All the best!

Slow nasal deviation

It is quite possible for a small deviation of the nose at the time of an injury to go unnoticed which over time can become exaggerated.  It can be corrected at any stage with rhinoplasty.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma and broken nose

Trauma to the nose can cause a displaced nasal fracture, or a non--displaced nasal fracture. It can also cause a dislocation of the upper lateral cartilages off of the nasal bones. In addition, the septum can become fractured, also known as a deviated septum. To straighten the crooked nose requires a rhinoplasty procedure. To straighten crooked nasal bones requires osteotomies placed in them. To straighten the midportion of the nose requires a spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage. A tip rhinoplasty is required to straighten the nasal tip cartilages. A septoplasty is performed for a deviated septum. For more information many examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty For Actors, Musicians, Performers

In my practice, I deal with many patients in the entertainment industry, and understand that the demands are quite high for their looks since they are often scrutenized at close range on stage, in film, on television, and in photographs.  It is indeed possible that although no shape change was noticed shortly after your accident, structures inside the nose could have cause shape variations months and years later.  It sounds like you were happy with your nose before the injury, and I would suspect your nose can be restored to a configuration that pleases you. This is, of course, based on my not examining you in person, which would be the only way to truly assess your situation. 

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for correcting a crooked nasal appearance.

Without photos it is difficult to visualize your concerns about your crooked nasal appearance. Consider consulting with a rhinoplasty specialist, or feel free to re-ask your question with photos. Dr Mike Nayak is excellent, and he practices near you. Hope this helps. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose changing over time

It does happen frequently that the nasal bones are injured and may crack, but do not shift and surgery to correct them is avoided.  Nasal bones can be seen easily on CT or X ray.  However, when the nose is injured there may also be injury to the cartilage.  The tip of the nose is made up of cartilage and soft tissue (no bone).  It is harder to tell if the cartilage is injured because we can't see that on Xray.  Sometimes the cartilage has a small injury that doesn't look significant at first, but may scar and warp over time.  

A rhinoplasty can correct a twisted tip.  I generally harvest cartilage from the septum, which alleviated breathing obstruction from a deviated septum.  The septal cartilage can be used to graft the tip as needed. 

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage damage vs. nasal fracture

Without photographs, it is difficult to fully assess what could be going on with your nose. However, the nasal bones are the firm structures towards the top of the nose and you have multiple cartilages making up the remainder of the nose. It's possible that you had damage to the cartilage but no significant nasal fracture (in the sense that it was not displaced and did not need a repair). If there was cartilage damage, over time this can lead to weakening of the structure and scar tissue formation, which can lead to some changes in the external appearance. I would recommend you have consultation with experienced and Board Certified Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon to discuss this further. Best of luck! 

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon