How long do you take multi-vitamins before your tummy tuck and lipo surgery?

I'm scheduled to have a TT, MR, lipo and Arm lift on January 10, 2017. The Doctor recommends that you start taking a multi-vitamin right away before surgery. I've been talking them for about 30 days now. Do I continue to take them until my surgery day?

Surgical Support Multi-Vitamins

With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after.  We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins.  The program includes Arnica and Bromelain. 

Vitamins before Surgery

All doctors are different, but in my case I dont ask my patients to take multivitamins before surgery, and if they are taking it, I make sure they stop at least 3 weeks before the procedure.

Regards 

Dra. Disnalda Matos

Disnalda Matos, MD

Vitamins and Surgery

Every doctor is different when it comes to multi-vitamins and surgery.  I recommend you ask your doctor about their specific protocol, as I wouldn't want to recommend something that is against your doctor's wishes.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Tummy tuck

This really differs per practice seeing as every surgeon has a slightly different pre & post operative protocol so I would contact your doctors office and ask for their list of medications/vitamins to take and avoid. Vitamin C can aid in recovery and reduce inflammation so it is beneficial to take that daily. This is what I generally recommend for my patients pre and post operatively for daily good health: Vitamin C with rose hips 1000mg 3xdaily,  Zinc 50mg daily, L-Arginine 1000mg daily, Probiotic daily (recommend probiotic America obtained off the internet), Organic apple cider vinegar (2teasoons in 8oz glass 3x 1day), High protein diet (es. Chicken, fish, lentils, quinoa, brown rice), and Alkalinize your body (es. Dark leafy vegetables, fruits, etc). I hope this helps. Best of luck. Supplements that should be discontinued are medications like aspirin or ibuprofen that can increase your risk of bleeding and other complications. I also recommend that my patients discontinue taking Vitamin E, green tea supplements, garlic supplements and St John’s Wort. It’s always best to take the advice of your surgeon and his medical staff though. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins before surgery?

Every surgeon differs on what they deem safe to ingest before elective cosmetic surgery.  Please check with your surgeon for advice.  There are many OTC drugs that can interfere with clotting and bleeding that need to be discontinued 2 weeks prior to surgery.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Vitamins

You should check with your surgeon on this, for my patients I want them to take a high quality vitamin (VitaMedica) starting two weeks before surgery and continue for two weeks after surgery. I want my patients to avoid Vitamin E as it is a blood thinner and can interfere with healing. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Tummy Tuck - multi-vitamins pre-operatively

Thank you for your question. We recommend that certain vitamins and supplements - including many multi-vitamins - be discontinued 2-3 weeks before surgery, as they may contain components (such as Vitamin E) which may cause problems with intra-operative and post-operative bleeding. My best advice to you is to check with your board-certified plastic surgeon's office for their guidelines.