Can I intubate adult patients 3 weeks after getting submuscular silicone implants?

I'm in CRNA (nurse anesthetist) school and am looking to have submuscular cohesive silicone implants placed during my 3 weeks off in December. I don't want to tell my program directors or clinical preceptors. Will I be able to intubate adult patients when returning to clinical after 3.5 weeks? I'm afraid if I wait until I graduate I won't get enough time off to do it.

Under normal circumstances with no issues that delay recovery I would expect that you can integrate patients at 3 weeks after bilateral subpectoral augmentation.  However it is crucial that you follow your plastic surgeon's advice specifically and not rely on Internet opinion.

Intubating after augmentation

should easily be tolerated by 3 weeks post-op.  But unless you have an obligation right after your finish your program, you will find that you can always make the time for such procedures.  Best to get the okay from your surgeon just to be sure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Activity after breast implants

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you should not have any problems at 3 1/2 weeks returning to intubating patients.  Good luck in the future!

Chad Robbins, MD

Activity

Yes, you should be able to intubate patients in 3.5 weeks barring complications. Strenuous activity should be avoided for 6 weeks. 

Good luck in school and with your planned surgery!

DrBurnett#realself100

Activity after Breast Augmentation

Great question. I think you'll be fine with intubating after 2-3 weeks of healing. I've had surgeon breast aug patients return to work in a week without any problems. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Work activities after breast augmentation

The act of intubating a patient uses the deltoid and forearm muscles predominantly, not the pectoral muscles. It should be fine, and also reasonably comfortable, for you to intubate patients 3 1/2 weeks after your augmentation. Best of luck!

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Breast augmentation recovery question.

The force necessary for intubation of an adult patient should be low risk three weeks after your subpectoral breast augmentation.  It is the sudden forceful use of the arms which is abrupt that I think runs the risk of creating a small tear in the healing muscle which itself can cause a small hematoma and increase the risk of encapsulation.  Be certain that you are avoiding blood thinners and try to work smoothly and as gently as possible upon your return to work.  Of course discuss this with your selected plastic surgeon.  You might also find more useful information from the video I have linked to above.  Good luck and enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Clinical work for CRNA after breast augmentation surgery

I think most health care workers should be able to return to their jobs within 1-2 weeks of breast augmentation surgery. Once you are off of pain medication and able to commute to work, you should be good to go.

Can I intubate adult patients 3 weeks after getting submuscular silicone implants

With proper patient head positioning it should not be a problem. If you can use a glide scope, it will be easier.

Julio Garcia, MD

Can I intubate 3 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation?

All sub-muscular augmentation patients have varying degrees of muscle soreness post-op. However, most of my patients are off all narcotics and driving by three weeks (or sooner). As you already know from your training, successful intubation is about proper patient position and technique rather than brute force. I think that you'll do very well within the stated time frame. Best of luck to you,

Michael F. Bohley, MD