I have a question regarding fuller lips and having gynecomastia surgery. What is the safe treatment?

I'm a 57 yr old male what is the safest treatment available for fuller lips that will get the best results? If I have gynecomastia surgery can I still keep some of the definition I have in my chest and when can start exercising again? Thanks John

Risks Associated with Gynecomastia Surgery

As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation. Reduced sensation of the nipple is possible, as it is with any breast surgery, and can lead to reduced nipple sensation. Reduced sensation is usually temporary following surgery and may require a few months resolve. However,  in some cases, the loss of sensation can be permanent. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision and reduce the chance of a necessary revision.

Lip Fillers

Thank you for your question! I advise you to find a board certified plastic surgeon or certified injector.  You can get temporary lip fillers to enhance your lips.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified  Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

GYNECOMASTIA = Breast Enlargement in Men, below are some basic information to know about the procedure and if it is for you:
Gynecomastia or breast enlargement in men can be corrected by a variety of plastic surgical techniques. This condition often creates a psychological poor self perception and many males of all ages do not take their shirts off because of this stigma. Candidates are men who have over-developed or enlarged breasts which may occur as the result of hormonal changes or hereditary conditions.
Candidates are healthy men, whose condition cannot be corrected through exercise, weight reduction or other non-surgical treatments. Appropriate preconditions for surgery are the stabilization of breast development (no further breast enlargement) and localized areas of excess breast tissue and fat.
Intended Result
The procedure intends to reduce the breast size and redundant breast tissue to enhance the contours of the chest. The surgery often reduces physical discomfort associated with the area, as well as physiological and emotional dissatisfaction with the area.
Procedure Description
General, Intravenous or local anesthesia are used for this procedure depending on the severity and type of procedure(s) selected by your plastic surgeon. It is performed on an outpatient basis. For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.
Oftentimes, specific types of liposuction cannulas are used and often in conjunction with direct removal of excess breast glandular tissue through small incisions for mild to moderate gynecomastia. Other specific techniques can reduce the areola when needed or reposition the nipple to create the appearance of a more natural contour.

Gynecomastia Surgery Improves Chest Definition

There is no question that gynecomastia surgery will improve your chest definition. I encourage my patients to exercise after or even before surgery to enhance your result.  Normally power assisted liposuction alone will suffice. If your chest is really droopy, excision might also be necessary.

There are several fillers that can be used in the lips. They are all good, the "best one" really depends upon the patient. It is more important to pick out a good injector and then discuss which product to use with her.  We have two full time nurse injectors that are great.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Lip fillers and Gynecomastia advice

John
I appreciate your concerns. For your lips, Juvederm plus, or similar products, are a good temporary alternative, and fat transfer offers longer term results. Both good. Diet and exercise will keep your chest definition after Gynecomastia surgery, which often times requires only liposuction. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject, as it may be helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD