I am considering gynecomastia surgery. I'm 57 yrs old. Can I have this procedure without losing definition?

I work out and have somewhat of a little definition built up but there is some embarrassing fat there as well, can I have this procedure without taking away some of the definition I have?

Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi johnny43,

Thanks for the post. The short answer to your question is yes. However, you would need to be examined in person to see whether you have glandular excess, fatty excess, or both. This will determine the best procedure.  I recommend that you be evaluated by a plastic surgeon experienced in gynecomastia surgery. There are some nuances in operating in older men compared with younger men and teens.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Gynecomastia

as a general rule of thumb the answer would be a qualified yes. There can be tremendous variations depending on the amount of tissue, and skin tone. Find yourself a good board certified plastic surgeon who regularly does the procedure and discuss your issues. I'm sure it will work out well for you. Good luck.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia surgery is a combination of removal of excess breast tissue and liposuction of the excess fat of the chest and lateral chest to keep the definition of the chest. This can be discussed with your surgeon to achieve the desired results

Reducing Breast Size in Men over 50

The treatment of #older men with #gynecomastia still follows basic surgical guidelines and principles. First, the patient must be in generally good health. There is no defined upper age limit for gynecomastia surgery. However, medical issues, such as hypertension, diabetes, etc. must be under control prior to surgery. In older men the main difference in the surgery compared with younger men has to do with their skin tone and nipple position. As we get older, we lose #elastin in our skin which leads to decreased tone. Therefore, in certain cases, the gynecomastia surgery in older men will also need to address the loosened skin and possibly #repositioning of the nipple and areola. This will allow for the most ideal contour and a patient who is happy with their results.

Will male breast reduction surgery decrease pec definition?

Hello and thank you for your question.

Removing the excess breast tissue will not decrease the definition that you have built up in your pecs. In fact, in my practice, we see many fitness competitors and body builders. I would seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this procedure, specifically among the fitness community.

Gynecomastia Saint Louis MO

It can be done .It is best to find an expert. 

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

Hola Johnny, i would say that that definition has to be evaluated, sometime patients think they have big pectorals and its fat. 

if its big chest muscle than you won't lose your definition. 

good luck!

Eduardo Mejia, MD

Surgery at age 57

In short - yes. The results of gynecomastia depend a lot on the quality of your chest skin. The tighter the skin the better the result. Skin generally loses it's elasticity as we get older. Sounds like you should have the surgery sooner than later. Good luck.