Is there anything I can get done to fix my profile? (photos)

It's especially bad when I smile - my chin and nose become especially pronounced.

Your nose is very projecting.

"Projecting" means that it comes out strongly forward, away from your face. Bringing the nose back closer to the face is called "de-projecting" the nose. The woman in the short video just above had a deprojection of her nose.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Mostly, I brought the nose back closer to your face. I also elevated the tip a tiny bit, because that helps make the nose look less prominent.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer. 

You have a strong chin, but I wouldn't touch it. Making a chin less pronounced is a much less predictable operation, and I only recommend it when the chin is a true deformity, and not just larger than average, as your chin is.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Yes, it is possible to m are your nose a bit smaller with rhinoplasty. You would have to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Nose and Chin Projection

Based on you photos I feel that you have a slight facial imbalance produced by the excess projection of your nose and chin. These issues could be addressed with a combination of a cosmetic rhinoplasty and a chin reduction.

The rhinoplasty would include a dorsal hump reduction and deprojection of your nasal tip. These would likely combine to decrease the apparent size and length of the nose. The trade off is a scar on your columella. 

See the link below.

The chin reduction would decrease your chin projection and soften your jaw profile. This would rebalance your face. The trade off is a small scar below the chin. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Fix my profile?

The short answer is yes, there are things that can be done. I, as well as the other plastic surgeons on this site, will tell you what they would do, but you need to communicate in person with a plastic surgeon what precisely your concerns are. From your pictures is appears that your nostril size is excessive and the profile is too large. You will benefit from steps to correct this. There may be other things that show up on other views.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

A  Closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish decreasing the overall projection of the nose, shaving down the dorsal hump, and reducing the hanging columella with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. If there is a depressor septi ligament present, this can also be released at the same time which prevents the tip of the nose from drooping when smiling.

Improving My Profile

A rhinoplasty to reduce your bridge, decrease tip projection and lift your hanging columella combined with a chin reduction will significantly improve your profile. 

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so that they can perform a nasal examination on you and give you the best recommendations. From what I can tell from your photographs, you may benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing along with an alarplasty which is the technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction. This procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. The combination of the two should help reduce the projection of your nose. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip de-projection

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a nasal tip de-projection to make the overall size of your nose smaller.  Chin reshaping can also be performed at the same time.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

You are a great candidate for rhinoplasty

Based on your concerns and photographs, you are a great candidate for rhinoplasty. Your features are beautiful, and rhinoplasty can take the emphasis away from your nose to your eyes and smile. 

You have the potential for a really beatiful, and perfectly natural, result. 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose and chin shaping

Thank you for the question and photos.  A rhinoplasty can help you reshape your nose to allow for a better or more desirable profile.  Chin shaping can also be accomplished in much the same way.  A sliding genioplasty is a chin shaping procedure that can help reduce the chin projection but increase the facial height if needed.  I would start the process by seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons in your community.  Take a look at the before and after photos to decide in part which plastic surgeon you are more inclined to go with.

Good luck on your journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD