Breast reduction, breast lift, or breast augmentation. Which one?? (photos)

I am a 33 year old female. I have had two pregnancies and 100 pound weight loss. I want my breasts to look nice, round and perky. They definitely are way too big for me. However I don't know what I should do to achieve the look that I want. I want them to look nice and round as if I've had breast augmentation, but I don't know if I can achieve that same look from a small reduction and a massive breast lift. Please let me know what your opinion is regarding this matter. Thank you

Breast reduction, breast lift, or breast augmentation. Which one??

I think the most predictable way to achieve a good cosmetic result would be to do a 2 staged approach.  This would consist of a mastopexy to lift and elevate the gland and nipple into its appropriate position.  If more upper pole fullness was desired, 3-6 months following your mastopexy you could consider undergoing a breast augmentation.

You could do this as a single staged approach, however, your complication rate and the chance of needing a revision would increase significantly given the degree of ptosis.  

Good luck and be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Based on your photos and significant weight loss, I recommend a 2 stage procedure. The first stage is a breast lift to elevate the nipple and to eliminate droop. The second stage would be placement of the breast implants to improve shape and give more upper breast fullness. Good luck!

Breast lift after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss.  You have significant ptosis (sagging) of the breasts.  I would suggest a breast lift as a first stage procedure.  Then, if you want more fullness, especially in the upper part of the breasts, you could consider placing implants at a later date.  I would recommend waiting at least 3 and probably 6 months between the two surgeries.  Of course, it would be best to seek the advice of an experienced plastic surgeon in your area. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Breast lift

You have significant Grade III ptosis and would benefit with a full scar mastopexy.  After you are healed from this procedure you may decide you would like more volume and could add an implant at that time.

John Burns, MD

Breast appearance

looking at your pictures, i would recommend a lift and an implant. with that technique, you may end up larger than you want. if you divide the surgeries into 2, then the lift and reduction could be more aggressive, and then you could follow this up with an implant placement in 3 to 6 months. you might get closer to your desired size with the 2 stage technique.

Breast Reduction and Lift

I appreciate your question.
I would recommend a breast lift at a first stage.
If you needed more volume after, we could consider an implant.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast surgery after massive weight loss

Thank you for your question. The key word in your request for improved breasts is "perky". By that, I assume you want fullness and projection in the upper breasts--and that means you will need breast implants, because we cannot achieve that with even the best technique of lifting--and even if a reduction is done, it is not likely the upper breast fullness can be restored. Since you have lost so much weight, and your nipples are so displaced, you will need a lot of skin removed (along with breast tissue if you want to be smaller). My recommendation would be to consider having the reduction, using the "vertical" technique and then have implants placed at the same time.  This may end up with breasts of the same size, and not smaller, but you may have to accept that to get the upper fullness you want, and to give the breasts a nice shape. Talk with a board-certified plastic surgeon for their advice. Good luck!

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hi... thank you for the question and photo... No, implants alone would not solve the breast ptosis. Breast ptosis is treated with Breast Lift and in this case implants could be used to the upper pole fullness.

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Breast implants alone will not be good. A breast lift can give you a nice result. An implant can be placed later if you desire more volume. 

See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast reduction, breast lift, or breast augmentation.

When one has significant sagginess of the breasts, it is unlikely to achieve a perky round breast with a breast lift alone. Placement of an implant is usually acquired to achieve that. This is a difficult complex procedure if one is very saggy. For that reason, some surgeons prefer to perform this in two stages, that is a breast lift first followed by implants. Other surgeons will perform this is a combination procedure although in general, when combined, there is always a possibility for a need for revision.