AlloDerm or not to AlloDerm ?

I have a 16 year old saline implant with a grade 3 capsular contracture. I am not a candidate for a DIEP Flap, too many and Abd surgeries. It has been suggested to me that AlloDerm or a similar produce be placed during the implant exchanged to prevent a new cc . I am interested the following: 1. If there is a significant reduction in the reoccurrence of cc with AlloDerm and 2. Are there any documented cases of contracting Hepatitis C or HIV from these products? Thank You

Capsules

I would typically advise sub muscular pocket placement to help correct recurrent capsular contractures, possibly in conjunction with use of acellular dermis for difficult cases.  Strattice is such a product.  It is thick and of porcine origin, so it has benefit of providing additional coverage and thickness, and is specifically designed for this purpose.  It also theoretically has no chance of human disease transmission. Alloderm is also a reasonable alternative.  

AlloDerm or not to AlloDerm ?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced. Capsular contraction can be a very frustrating complication for both patients and surgeons.. In my practice, I have found the most success treating these difficult problems utilizing techniques such as sub muscular pocket conversion (if relevant), capsulectomy, use of fresh implants, and the use of acellular dermal matrix. Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source (his human, porcine, or bovine in origin). I hope this, and attach link ( demonstrating a case utilizing acellular dermal matrix) helps.

AlloDerm or not to AlloDerm ?

In my opinion, you should be a great candidate for Strattice being used as an acellular dermal matrix to prevent recurrent capsular contracture.

Strattice is a xenograft (pig origin) and therefore poses no risk of disease transmission.  It is also a product that incorporates quicker than Alloderm, resulting in less time that a drain would be necessary.

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Castle Rock Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm use for capsular contracture

Allograft can be very helpful in treating capsular contractor. There are several products that are used including Stratus, which is a porcine based "allograft". To my knowledge, there are no known cases of disease transmission from the use of allografts.

There are several other factors that may contribute to whether an allograft should be used. The position of your implants either above or below the pectoralis muscle can also make a difference in whether a simple capsulectomy with placement of new implants and/or allograft is needed.

Aaron D. Smith, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm for capsular contracture

Alloderm and other ADM's such as Strattice have much lower capsular contracture rates compared to implants replacement alone. There have been no reports of disease transmission from these products, and they have been in widespread use for 15 years.

Richard Baxter, MD