Follow-up Question: Should I postpone mommy makeover if I lost 2 pints of blood from bladder surgery?

I had bladder surgery a week ago and the surgeon accidentally cut through a pelvic varicose vein. (Vaginal incision). I lost 2 pints of blood. I feel almost back to normal now but wondering if it will be a problem to proceed w/out having full amount of red blood cells in my body. I asked my PS and she kind of left it up to me. I was hoping to combine healing time of both surgeries because I have 3 boys under the age of 4. Also I live 4 hrs from my PS and have scheduled things around surgery.

To see previous question, please click here.

Should I Postpone?

So the answer is the same as last time the question was asked. It is understandable that people try to organize their lives to make things as easy as possible and it would be inconvenient to have to reschedule your surgery. It is also inconvenient to be dead, or have a major complication, and it wouldn't be good for your three boys either.

You really need to address this question to your surgeon again. I would think that at minimum your surgeon would want to check your blood count before proceeding with surgery to assure that it was within normal limits. If they failed to do that, and you were to have serious complication, I think that would considered malpractice. If your surgeon wishes to take this risk that is their business, but I think you need to look out for yourself and your children.

Anemia and surgery

It's not a mystery, have your Hgb/Hct (hemoglobin or hematocrit level) checked. Mommy makeover don't normally involve much blood loss for us, but only your ps knows how high she would like it to be for sure. At least a Hb of 11 for normal women. Otherwise you are having your surgery in suboptimal conditions... Why take a risk?

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well.  The hemoglobine levels is one of the most important fact to have a mommy makeover, I recommend to talk about this with your PS, to see if he/she prefer to pospone the surgery or to check that your hemoglobine is high enough to have all the procedures done. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Timing of surgery

You will want to be sure that your blood counts are back to normal before proceeding with further surgery.  This is important for your health and safety during surgery and recovery.  Your recovery from the Mommy Makeover will go more smoothly if your body is healthy and ready for healing.  

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy make-over - should I postpone it?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Your blood count should be back to normal before your mommy make-over.
  • I would also think you are fairly tired after surgery.
  • Generally I would recommend waiting at least six weeks after one major surgery before having another.
  • But no one can tell you if this is the right approach for you - given you circumstances.
  • I suggest you discuss it with your husband and with your regular doctor - if your blood count has returned to normal.
  • If it has not returned to normal, you should not proceed with more surgery at this time.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Low Blood Count

Thank you for your question. If you are experiencing Anemia you should hold off on your elective mommy makeover surgery. Anemia (low red blood cell count) increases your risk of cardiac and wound complications during surgery. Before surgery, your red blood cell count should be checked. If it is low, your doctor will work with you to increase it before surgery. In addition, discuss with your surgeon the plans for managing any blood loss that may occur after surgery.  You want to be in the best health so you can achieve optimal results during and after surgery. Best of luck with your future mommy makeover!!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Low blood count before surgery

It is unwise to proceed with your next surgery until your blood counts are back to normal. I'm sure you are getting appropriate iron and vitamin supplements while you are getting over the first surgery, but as you mentioned in your question you are hours away from your Plastic Surgeon and you want to dot your "I's" and cross your "T's" going forward and shouldn't compromise anything about the next surgery. Don't let the convenience get in the way of doing everything the right way on behalf of yourself, your family, and your Plastic Surgeon and other care providers.  Recover nutritionally as well as emotionally then go forward, best wishes.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Postponing surgery

Thank you for your question Nichelle. Blood loss after any surgery can potentially complicate future surgery. Generally it takes the body at least three weeks to a month to restore the blood that was lost. A loss of two pints is not an insubstantial blood loss. I would consider postponing your mommy makeover surgery until your body has had time to completely recover. At a minimum I would recommend ordering a complete blood count to see just how much blood you actually lost at the time of your previous surgery. If your blood count is in the normal range than I wouldn't hesitate to proceed with additional surgery. Bleeding complications after tummy tuck surgery are unusual, but they occasionally happen. I would also recommend planning to stay locally after your surgery for at least 24 to 48 hours rather than being 4 hours from your plastic surgeon immediately after surgery. Hopefully, with your upcoming mommy makeover surgery you have arranged to have lot of help with your young boys. I always counsel my patients to plan for at least two weeks of very minimal lifting after tummy tuck surgery.  Good luck!

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Safety first...

I am sorry to hear about the complication you experienced.  There is no doubt that you will be better off postponing elective surgery.  If you were my patient I would postpone the procedure out 1 to 2 months, for a variety of reasons.