Bone graft to facilitate implants.

A bone graft using my own bone is my preference... autogenic ? I found a implant dentist that I trust that will do the bone graft this way. I am just wondering why this is so seldom offered. I read up on it a bit, and it seems that the consensus is that using ones own bone has the best outcome.

Bone Graft

Allogeneic bone (procured bone) is used in most cases because it does not require a second surgery to remove bone from the patient, therefore minimizing the recovery time and the risks of infection. Autologous bone (your bone), on the other hand, is definitely better but requires additional surgery with the risk of complications like infections, and damage to adjacent areas. We use your own growth factors derived from your blood to mix them with either your own bone or procured bone to restore anatomy and help you heal quicker. It also helps minimize the possibilities of infections and reduces inflammation, therefore reducing the post-op discomfort. I have done thousands of bone grafts using the different techniques and both of them work perfectly fine. I hope you find someone that can help you. At the end, the decision whether to use your own bone or procured bone is yours.

Advantages and disadvantages to bone graft materials

The short answer is that autografts require a second procedure to harvest bone from elsewhere in the body.  Depending on your condition, a second procedure may not be in your best interest.Allograft is dead bone harvested from a cadaver, then processed using a freeze-dry method to extract the water.  Unlike autogenous bone, allogenic bone cannot produce new bone on it's own.  Rather, it acts as a framework over which bone from the surrounding bony walls can grow to fill the defect or void.  A Xenograft is derived from non-living bone of another species, usually a cow.  It is processed at extremely high temperatures to avoid the potential for immune rejection and contamination.  As with allografts, xenografts serve as a framework for bone to grow in from the surrounding areas.  Both allogenic and xenogenic bone grafting have the advantage of not needing a second procedure to harvest bone, but as these grafts lack autograft's bone-forming properties, bone regeneration may take longer than with autografts, with a less predictable outcome.

Ramon Peleaux, DDS, MD
Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon