Am I a good candidate for breast reduction surgery?

I am 20 years old, no kids, dont smoke, i weigh about 120-115lbs and I am 5'2" I have 32E breasts. When I was about 14 I grew from a 32b all the way to a 32dd pretty much over night. I have bad back problems, neck pain, shoulder divets, and small stretch marks on my breasts. I think my areolas are enlarged, but I really havent seen many breasts in my life to tell you for sure. Thank you in advance!

Breast reduction

For an informed opinion you are best to post some photos. If you are having functional problems then you may well benefit from a breast reduction. Make sure you get an opinion from a PS that can show you examples of his/her work and results that are similar to you. 

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for surgery

Based on your description you sound like an ideal candidate for breast reduction surgery as long as you understand that you will have to accept:  1) location of scars 2) possible loss of nipple/areolar sensation, 3) possible affect on your ability to breast feed in the future.  Patients of your size are generally extremely happy with their results and the relief of pain following the surgery.    Make certain that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon to get a thorough pre operative consultation so that you understand the best surgical technique for your body.  Vertical technique breast reductions often reduce the length of scars while providing excellent, long term shape of the breasts.   

Carlin Vickery, MD

Are you a candidate for a BR??

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:

• Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast reduction candidate

After reading your question it does sound like you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery. At 20 years old your breasts should be fully developed, and in regards to your height and weight, your breasts are very large and not proportionate to the rest of your body. You should consult in person with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reduction surgery to learn more about your options. Best of luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

I recommend you to send your photos to us for more precise advices.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast reduction

You would have to be seen in person to determine whether or not you are a good candidate for breast reduction.

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations to perform.   

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons. Timing of service should be individualized based on the specific patient's  life circumstances and preferences.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "C cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.