How long do I wear this surgical bra after my implants and lift?

How long do I have to use a surgical bra?

Hello dear, thanks for your question. 

How long I have to wear my post-surgical bra after a Breast Augmentation?

After a breast augmentation we have to protect our implants of possible movements out of the pocket already made by our surgeon. I always recommend my patients to wear their prost-surgical bra for at least 3 months from surgery day.

Then you can change to an sports bra and continue using it for at least 6 months from surgery. It is a process and we have to give support and protection to our breasts.

Compression is good for our breasts after a breast augmentation, we have to protect our post-surgical results and we will have a great surgery outgoing!! 

But I recommend to ask to your PS, because each surgeon has their own politics.

Good luck :)

Mastopexy implant

Every PS will have different recommendations for wearing bras postop and this depends on what technique and implants were used. I would ask your PS. IN my practice it is usually 6 weeks for a surgical bra.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

BA post op

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bra and implants and lift

I usually have patients wear a soft sports bra. Some surgeons ask patients to wear them all the time.  Each doctor is different and therefore you must ask your surgeon specifics about his post-op care.

How long to wear a surgical bra after lift/augmentation???

Thanks for your question.  You should follow the direction of your plastic surgeon, as each surgeon has a different protocol.  I tell my patients to wear them anywhere from 4-6 weeks day and night, but sometimes that instruction varies, depending on the patient.  After approximately 6 weeks, they can go to a sports bra, but are told to stay away from underwires for about 3 months following surgery.  The best advice is to listen to your plastic surgeon, as he or she is giving you individualized care designed specifically for you.  Best of luck.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation/lifting procedure; it is best to follow your plastic surgon's "protocol".   Generally speaking, there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast augmentation and lift: How long do I wear a surgical bra?

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I have my breast augmentation and lift patients wear a supportive bra day and night for two straight weeks and then for 16 hours a day for another month. Good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon