I am 20 days post op extended tummy tuck no lipo. Does my incision look healthy? (photo)

Most of my incision is healing and scabing nicely, but this area above the left leg, is open and gooie and doesn't seem to want to heal. I don't seem my surgeon for a while and I'm wondering if I should be keeping it moist to heal or letting it dry out. Should I be putting something on it or cleaning it a certain way. When I had an opening like this after my breasts lifted, I did a wet to dry pack, should I do that on this?

Incision at 20 Days Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

20 days post op

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

To reduce the swelling, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the fter six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

20 days post op extended abdominoplasty

Thank you for the question and the picture.   You are very early post-op and should be in close contact with your surgeon,  and follow his/her post op instruction.    Good Luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck incision

You should ask your surgeon directly how he wants you to take care of it .  He is the best person to ask.

I am 20 days post op extended tummy tuck no lipo. Does my incision look healthy

Any type of wound care or recovery questions need to be addressed by your surgeon. You need to set up an appointment for him/her to see you so that they may advise you on how to care for your incision. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck healing issues

Thank you for your question. My best advice to you is to contact your board-certified plastic surgeon's office and let them know what is going on with your post-operative wound healing issues. She or he will be the very best source of advice to assist you in achieving an optimal healing outcome. 

Open wound?

Thanks for sharing this post. It looks like you're getting an opening in the wound and there is and inflammatory reaction to the drainage. I don't think you should be doing any dressings or putting anything on the wound until you speak/see your plastic surgeon. I suggest you contact them right away. If you can't see your plastic surgeon for some reason, perhaps seek the attention of a local medical professional. Wound delays and other healing problems occur with tummy tuck, but these can still heal nicely with appropriate medical care. Best wishes,Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD