Is my nose too big? Should I get surgery to make it smaller? (photos)

I can't figure out what's wrong with my nose. It's my biggest insecurity. I just want to know do I have a big nose?

Rhinoplasty to make the nose smaller

A  Closed Rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish making the overall nose smaller and more refined with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose.  The nasal tip can be refined, the dorsal hump shaped down, the nose decreased in projection, and the bridge line narrowed.  From the side profile, it appears that there's a weak and recessive chin profile for which a chin implant might be considered. When patients have a weak side profile,  A chin implant can help make the nose look less projecting. For more information and many before and after examples of this combination, please see the link and video below

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear rckrsccr6, If the appearance of your nose bothers you as you state then know that your nose can be refined with rhinoplasty surgery. In my practice I perform many rhinoplasty procedures weekly for many young ladies and gentlemen like yourself and the procedure is very rewarding. Rhinoplasty surgery refines your nose and provides a feminine appearance that accentuates your other lovely facial features while providing balance to your profile and overall facial aesthetics. Seek consultation with some experts and have imaging performed to show you the possibilities of rhinoplasty surgery. See examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Good candidate for rhinoplasty

You appear to be a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  My approach to rhinoplasty in you is to feminize the nose and make it less distracting to your face.  You may notice that people are more likely to look at your eyes in conversations.  You can see this effect when reviewing before and after photos. 

Good luck!

Dr. TerKonda

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS

If you ask if your nose can be made better looking, the answer is a resounding "yes".

Find an expert who has computer imaging to see what realistic changes you would like to have

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Should I Have a Rhinoplasty to Make My Nose Smaller?

Yes, your nose can be made smaller but this may not be for you. I suggest you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist so that surgeon can show you what can be done and discuss your alternatives which will make it easier for you to decide if you want to have surgery. The surgeon can show you results in patients who had a nose like yours.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

First off, you are a lovely young woman with beautiful features.  

If you wanted to refine and reduce the size of the tip, this certainly can be done and I think it would give you a softer, more feminine look.

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my nose too big? Should I get surgery to make it smaller?

Thank you for your question. Based on your pictures, you are an excellent candidate and will benefit from a Rhinoplasty.  This will create a better balance in your face. I recommed that you look for a Board Certified Surgeon that has extensive experience on Rhinoplasty. Good luck

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Do I need nasal surgery

The idea of a "big nose" depends on a person's overall facial features and how your nose fits with your other facial features.  Certainly the aim is for one's nose to align with the rest of your face and not be "too prominent".  I would recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and get an professional opinion on what you would like to achieve with your nose and get a good idea whether you should have nasal corrective surgery(rhinoplasty).  Hope this answer helps you with your question.

Bradford S. Patt, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon