Is a septoplasty required to correct this cosmetic issue? (photo)

I'm told I have a deviated septum, therefore I need a septoplasty in order to correct the cosmetic appearance of my nostrils. However, I do not have any breathing problems. Are there any other options to correct the symmetry of my nostrils? If a septoplasty is the only answer, how long is the recovery?

Correcting nostril asymmetry in the bottom third of the nose

The short answer is that most likely a septoplasty would improve the appearance of your nostrils if indeed the septum is pushing the columella (middle portion) of your nose toward the side resulting in the deviation seen on the base view. Alternatively, it could be the result of long medial crura (the components of the nose making up the columella) which is causing the deviation. It is also possible that both factors are contributing to the crookedness. The recovery is typically a week or less depending upon the underlying causes. The procedure is typically an outpatient one. Good luck with your decision.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Functional septoplasty for breathing, rhinoplasty for cosmetic issue

When patients have a twisted and crooked nose, a rhinoplasty is performed to straighten it.  When patients have a breathing  issue which is considered functional, a septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose to improve airflow dynamics, once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination and consultation.  A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose.  For more information and many examples of rhinoplasty for  the crooked nose, please see the link and the video below 

Septal Deviation

The caudal aspect of your nasal septum appears to be deviated to the left.  This deviation is causing the caudal septum to obstruct your left nostril.  Repositioning the caudal septum to midline should help your nostril asymmetry.  The septum is typically anchored to the underlying bone during surgery to keep it in position.  I suggest you follow up with a surgeon specializing in functional and cosmetic nasal surgery.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon